Jason Merritt/Getty Images
Laura Wasser has been Hollywood's go-to divorce attorneys for well over a decade, and she recently dropped some seriously juicy details about some of her A-list clients.
With a roster that includes Angelina Jolie, Denise Richards, Jennifer Garner, Gwen Stefani, and Christina Aguilera, just to name a few, the 47-year-old has undeniably made a name for herself as one of the toughest lawyers in family court in Los Angeles.
And while not everyone may have $850 to shell out for an hour of Wasser's work, we can all enjoy the best insider details from her latest interview with Bloomberg Business.
1. There's a right time for celebrities to file for divorce: Apparently the best window to file a petition is on a Friday afternoon, especially before a holiday weekend.
Matthew Simmons/Getty Images for Rolling Stone
2. The worst type of clients are: "Vegans." Wasser added, "I'm sorry, but no judge is going to take away custody because you gave the kid In-N-Out."
3. She was around for the beginning (and end) of Britney Spears' marriage to Kevin Federline: Wasser was around to negotiate the pop star's prenup two years prior to the two splitting up and filing for divorce. However, Wasser left the case in September 2007, during the midst of a tense custody battle between the two parties. "It was an ugly split-up," Wasser dished. "We got out of that case."
4. Went in doubt, piggyback off of another split: "I'll tell my clients, ‘I have someone else, I can't say who, but you should really wait and file at the same time," she told the publication. Because there's no better way to take the spotlight away from your split than to have the light shining on another popular couple. Case in point? Just hours after Reba McEntire announced her separation from Narvel Blackstock, news went public about Gwen and Gavin Rossdale's split.
5. Loose lips sink ships: The blunt brunette has garnered an impressive list of clientele that not even her own father is privy to. Dennis Wasser joked that headlines are "how I find out about some of Laura's divorces." Privacy is key when it comes to a veritable who's who in Tinsletown.
6. Antonio Banderas and Melanie Griffith's split was almost two years in the making: "I think we worked on it for a good year—no, a year and a half—before it came out on TMZ," she shared. And when we did file it, there was some personal things that were agreed upon by Antonio and myself that we had removed from the official papers so they wouldn't get out."
7. You can create your own courtroom, for a hefty price: Several of Wasser's clients opt to hire a judge (to the tune of $1,000 an hour) if they want to keep their case away from the public eye. No paparazzi, no audience, no worries.
8. Forget tax season, there's an actual divorce season: According to the lady of the hour, Wasser notes that the high time for celebs announcing the end of their marriage is in January and February. That said, she noted that she's currently working on several celebrity divorce cases which will be announced in March, after the Oscars, since her clients didn't "want to walk the red carpet alone."
9. More splits are coming…soon: She noted that she's currently working on several celebrity divorce cases which will be announced in March, after the Oscars, since her clients didn't "want to walk the red carpet alone."
10. Speaking of clients, a current one is a world-famous fashion model: "What does her immigration attorney say?" Wasser is quoted as saying on the phone to an attorney while discussing the model's prenuptial agreement. "I don't understand…Is she trying to become a citizen? My only concern is, why waste the money? Why throw it away?...OK, OK. I'm happy to indulge it, but I want to talk to the immigration judge." Hmmm…let the guessing games begin!