Kevin Winter/Getty Images
As the legal battle between Kesha and music producer Dr. Luke escalates, old testimony from the pop star is raising new questions about her claims.
In recently surfaced footage of a 2011 deposition, the singer clearly states, "Dr. Luke never made sexual advances at me." The testimony, obtained by E! News, was taken as a part of a separate lawsuit filed in 2010 by DAS Communications. Kesha had previously been signed to the label and the company alleged Dr. Luke convinced her to break from their record deal.
In another portion of the interview, the "Tik Tok" singer and her mother, Pebe Sebert, specifically deny Dr. Luke ever making sexual contact or advances toward the star.
It's an undeniably different tune from the one Kesha claimed in the 2014 lawsuit she filed against the producer, alleging he had sexually assaulted her and requesting to be freed from remaining contracts she had signed with him under Sony.
While the suit is still pending, a preliminary injunction to temporarily free her from her current contract was denied Friday. After the legal setback, this resurfaced footage may be additional collateral for Luke's camp in proving innocence.
"Tellingly, Kesha continues to evade the under oath sworn testimony of no abuse from her and her mother – and the video of their testimony speaks a thousand words," Christine Lepera, attorney for Dr. Luke, told E! News.
However, Kesha's attorney Mark Geragos raised another allegation to explain his client's conflicted remarks.
"Dr. Luke threatened her and her mother," he said in a statement to E! News. "Only after going to rehab and undergoing intense therapy was Kesha strong enough to stand up to this monster."
Kesha spoke to this claim in her sworn statement in an affidavit to the New York Supreme Court filed in September 2015.
"I specifically remember him telling me that if I ever tried to get away from him for any reason that he would tie me up in litigation until my career was over," she said. "He made it very clear to me and my mom that he owned me and there was nothing I could do about it."
While Luke has continued to vehemently deny any sexual involvement with the star, whom he has referred to as a "little sister" on social media, Kesha has remained committed to her current claims, voicing her opinion regarding Friday's ruling on Facebook.
"[This] has never been about a renegotiation of my record contract," she wrote. "This is about being free from my abuser."
As throngs of celebrities flock to publicly support Kesha—among them Taylor Swift , Lena Dunham and most recently Adele, musician Charlie Puth feels for both sides.
"In my humble opinion, [it] is just devastating for both parties because so much attention is taken off from the music," he told E! News' Sibley Scoles, revealing that both Kesha and Dr. Luke were influential to him as an artist.
"Nobody wins at the end of the day," he added. "I really hope Kesha comes out with some new songs because we really need some of that."
Scott A. Edelman, an attorney representing Sony, tells E! News, "Sony has made it possible for Kesha to record without any connection, involvement or interaction with Luke whatsoever, but Sony is not in a position to terminate the contractual relationship between Luke and Kesha."
"Sony is doing everything it can to support the artist in these circumstances, but is legally unable to terminate the contract to which it is not a party," Mr. Edelman added.