On the count of three, everyone shout the name of your favorite scientist: One...Two…Three! BILL NYE THE SCIENCE GUY, BILL-BILL-BILL-BILL-BILL-BILL! (Who did you say? Einstein? Gross.)
Bill Nye, the only reason anyone raised in the ‘90s knows a single thing about science and the CEO of the Planetary Society, participated in a Reddit Ask Me Anything (AMA) this afternoon, along with NASA's Chief Scientist Ellen Stofan and JPL scientist Robert Pappalardo to discuss Europa (one of the moons of Jupiter with even more liquid water on it's surface than Earth).
"Why are we doing this? Fundamentally we all love Europa and the mysteries associated with it," Nye & Co. explain. "What, if anything, can be found in the great oceans of Europa? How could NASA look for life? What would it mean to discover life or even to discover that there is no life there?"
(That is a very regal ponytail, Mr. Pappalardo!)
Nerd out with us over the 12 coolest things we learned from the Q&A:
1. Even Bill Nye the Science Guy doesn't know if there's life on other planets.
(And if he doesn't, who does?!)
2. Bill Nye the Science Guy is a lover, not a fighter.
3. And a runner, not a fighter.
4. Bill Nye the Science Guy might not actually understand jokes.
(Or he just hates Nicolas Cage.)
5. But he sure does love air conditioning—and you should, too!
6. Spacecrafts are the future.
7. Asteroid mining is the future.
8. Mars is not the future.
9. Bill Nye the Science Guy is very cagey about Bill Nye the Science Guy.
10. Or is he?
Oh, is that so, Bill?
11. Some life advice from Bill Nye the Science Guy:
12. And even though this isn't from Bill, it might be the most exciting part of the whole AMA:
PACK YOUR BAGS, WE'RE ALL GOING TO SPACE!