Hot, sticky, sweaty season is upon us, which is also known as the makeup meltdown time of year. But it doesn't have to be. Not if you've got the right tools. Sure, you already know about the basics ones such as waterproof mascara and good ol' primer. But according to top pros—whose job is to keep A-listers looking cool as a cucumber under the blazing sun and hot red carpet lights—that's just step one.
So what should you be doing this summer to keep your face from smearing, smudging and dripping onto your neck? Here are five fantastic tips from Hollywood's top makeup artists.
1. Pencil It In: Amy Adams and Rosie Huntington-Whiteley's makeup artist Stephen Sollitto suggests skipping eyeshadow all together in the summertime—that includes creams, pots, and powders. Instead he's suggesting you "use Make Up For Ever waterproof pencils and shade in your whole lid."
2. Find a Triple Threat: Instead of layering onto your complexion, find a power foundation that has built in SPF and is waterproof, says Sollitto. Don't think such a product exists? "Check out Colorescience," he suggests. Similarly, Gabrielle Union and Jennifer Garner's makeup artist Fiona Stiles says if you must add hydration to your complexion "skip moisturizer. Just use sunscreen."
3. Prime Time: Notice how primer wasn't mentioned in the above point? That's because Stiles thinks "it's an unnecessary step" for the face. However, if you do want to use eyeshadow she suggests first swiping on Nars' eye primer to prevent creases on the lids.
4. Go for the Gold: Jaimie Alexander's makeup pro Jeffrey Paul has a nifty alternative for bronzers. "Apply self-tanner in areas you want to contour, like under the cheekbones. It soaks into the skin and won't melt or rub off."
5. Hot Stuff: How about the makeup not on your face? It might seem obviously but summer is when you should also be clearing out your purse. "Don't leave lipstick in your bag or car," says Sollitto. "Do pack a few Q-tips," which is the easiest and quickest touch-up tool on the market. So long, smudges!