The hunt for O.J.'s assets is on.
Attorneys for Fred Goldman, father of murder victim Ron Goldman, subpoenaed three Hollywood industry groups Monday in an attempt to follow a theoretical money trail that the Goldmans are hoping might help them collect on the $33.5 million wrongful-death judgment they and the family of Nicole Brown Simpson were awarded in 1997.
Reuters reported that Goldman's legal camp has targeted the Screen Actors Guild, the Producers Guild of America and the American Federation of Television & Radio Artists to investigate how much O.J. Simpson has been paid over the years for TV appearances and his roles in various films, including the Naked Gun trilogy.
"There is a rational belief that these monies have either been diverted, assigned or payable to someone other than Simpson," Goldman lawyer David Cook told the wire service.
Goldman, who filed a federal lawsuit in December accusing Simpson of setting up a bogus company to deposit the $1.1 million advance he received from the now defunct ReganBooks for his ill-fated If I Did It book and interview project, has continued to pursue the theory that Simpson has been hiding his residuals to keep the cash away from the Goldmans and the Browns.
"We're going to burrow to the center of the earth to find Simpson's assets," Cook said. "These subpoenas today seek to uncover and unearth Simpson's catalog or portfolio of movie residuals."
Simpson, whose attorney was unavailable for comment, has maintained that his mega-millions vanished long ago, mostly due to legal expenses, and that he is living on his NFL pension (a moderate $4 million), which the Browns and Goldmans can't touch.
Last month a Los Angeles Superior Court judge put a freeze on all the money Simpson had earned from book, movie or sports deals and extended his ruling last week to include the If I Did It dough, which the former murder defendant said has already been spent on bills and taxes.
ReganBooks parent News Corp. has admitted to paying $800,000—including $125,000 to a ghost writer—for the rights to Simpson's hypothetical story, but said the money went to a third party and not to the ex-football star.
The injunction is in effect at least until Feb. 20, when another hearing will be held to reexamine the case. Meanwhile, Simpson is still allowed to withdraw money for "ordinary living expenses."
Also in January, a federal judge in L.A. ruled that his court did not have jurisdiction over Goldman's lawsuit and advised him to pursue the matter in state court in Florida, where Simpson is a resident.