O.J. Simpson may want to get a head start on writing some IOUs.
A Los Angeles judge Wednesday extended an injunction first issued last month prohibiting the former football star from spending any of the reported $1 million advance he received for his ill-fated book and TV special If I Did It, a hypothetical confessional about the slayings of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman.
Superior Court Judge Gerald Rosenberg broadened his Jan. 4 ruling, which originally only precluded Simpson from spending money from past book, movie or sports deals. It did not include keeping tabs on his If I Did It payout because the Goldman family had filed a separate federal lawsuit concerning the allocation of that money.
However, the Goldmans' federal suit was rejected late last month over issues of jurisdiction, thereby clearing the way for the new order.
The extended ruling bars Simpson from "transferring, conveying, expending, liquidating, encumbering, hiding, concealing or otherwise disposing" of the $1.1 million he purportedly pocketed for If I Did It, though he is allowed to access money for "ordinary living expenses."
Ron Goldman's father, Fred, made the injunction request as part of a state lawsuit filed in December, accusing Simpson of fraudulent conveyance—namely, setting up a bogus corporation, Lorraine Brooke Associates, to funnel the advance he received from would-be publisher ReganBooks. The Goldmans claim that the fake account was set up so that Simpson would not be forced to relinquish any money to make good on the $33.5 million wrongful-death judgment the Goldman and Brown families won against the sports star in 1997.
The Goldmans are seeking to recoup all of Simpson's If I Did It earnings.
News Corp., which owned ReganBooks and which ultimately pulled the plug on the book, interview and imprint, has admitted to spending $880,000 for the rights; however, the company says the payment was made to a third party, not Simpson. Of that six-figure sum, $125,000 of it went to the book's ghostwriter.
The spending ban will be in effect until Feb. 20, at which point a hearing has been scheduled to reassess the situation. Should Simpson wish to be exempted from the judge's order, he will have to submit his financial records to the court.
As it is, he claims he already submitted them to the public.
Last fall, before the new lawsuits were filed, Simpson said that he had already spent his payout on bills and taxes.