Chance the Rapper is taking the hip-hop world by storm.
Following the Spring 2012 release of his first mixtape #10Day, the 20-year-old Chicago-born rapper generated a ton of buzz with hits like "Hey Ma" and "Juke Juke" even before the release of his second mixtape Acid Rap in 2013.
Dubbed as Spin's rapper of the year in 2013, Chance's quick rap stylings and twerk-filled performances soon caught the attention of Justin Bieber, who brought him to the mainstream when he featured Chance on "Confident."
During the first weekend of Coachella this year, the duo made headlines when the Biebs popped up on stage during Chance's Sunday set, joining the lyricist for a performance of the song.
Chance aka Chancellor Bennett is set to take the stage again this Sunday, rocking the famed music fest once again. Take a peek at five things to know about him!
1. A school suspension helped kick off his career: After getting suspended for 10 days from Jones College Prep High School, Chance recorded #10Day during his senior year according to Chicagoist. He was ridiculed by his teachers for his musical inspirations and created the mixtape as "a course of action against the school's administration."
2. Kanye West is one of his biggest inspirations: When Chance was in the fifth grade, he nabbed his first hip hop album--West's The College Dropout. "Ever since then I've always known what I wanted to do," he told Hiphopdx.com. "My first idea, in terms of where my life was gonna go, was definitely in fifth grade when I got that album. I just started rapping," he said. Chance later told Rolling Stone, "Kanye took me from a kid who listened to music to a kid who lived music."
3. He recorded his first song at 14: And he recorded it over Kanye West instrumentals. "It was a really big thing for me, because it was the first time I'd ever heard my voice over music," he told Hiphopdx. "I really liked hearing myself back."
4. His lyrics sound poetic for a reason: According to Rolling Stone, Chance spent his evenings in high-school perfecting his craft, performing slam poetry and attending open mic nights.
5. He toured with Macklemore and Ryan Lewis: Last summer, Chance went on a 23-date European tour with the Grammy-winning duo. "Chance is just dope," Macklemore told Fuse before the tour began. "He's somebody that's doing something different, much how we are something different. You can't really put it in a box. So, I think there's a natural pair from that…I'm just a fan of what he does." Chance also briefly toured in Europe with Eminem and was featured on Bieber's "Confident" that same year.
When asked how the collaboration came to be, Bieber told Power 106 FM, "I was looking for someone fun, young and energetic for the record, and I found this kid on the internet. I liked his cadencies and the way he rapped. I thought he was going to be a star, so I was like I want to get him now before he blows up."