Ah, Mario Kart. The game that ends friendships, destroys bonds and creates rifts that last through the ages and all because you had to hit me with that damn red shell right before I hit the finish line! You are such a jackass, Gina! Just wait until I get that blue shell because I'll wait until you're in first and home free and then I will ruin you. I WILL RUIN YOU!
Sorry, we're still fighting with a couple of friends over some extreme Mario Kart 64 sessions. And speaking of Mario Kart 64, the new trailer for Mario Kart 8 (out this May on the Wii U) shows a couple nods to the 64 version that so many of us fell in love with. This is the first Mario Kart since 2008 (not counting the one released for the Nintendo 3DS), and the first Mario Kart game designed for the Wii U console. And after seeing the trailer, we are already cracking our knuckles in anticipation. Because people will be going down.
Watch the trailer above, and then check out the nine moments from the trailer that we're seriously geeking out over:
1. Here we go! The starting line, which symbolizes hope. Hope that you won't suck on this course.
2. A new feature in Mario Kart 8 is the anti-gravity ability, and if a racer bumps into someone else, both characters get a speed boost!
3. The hang-gliding attachments from Mario Kart 7 have made their way to Mario Kart 8, which is a necessity for giving you time to mock people as you float past them.
4. Also coming from Mario Kart 7 is the ability to drive underwater, because physics be damned.
5. And for the first time in forever (sorry, we're listening to the Frozen soundtrack), the Koopalings are now playable characters. The Koopalings are Bowser's children or siblings, depending on who you ask. Seriously, it's a hot button debate topic.
6. Toad's Turnpike!
7. Aw yeah, new items! Now drivers can get a boomerang and take people out in the most spectacular fashion.
8. You thought we were excited about Toad's Turnpike? We were, until we saw the new version of Rainbow Road. Now we need a new word for "excitement."
Poll: are you a person who loves Rainbow Road or loathes it?
9. And finally, the other new item: the Potted Piranha Plant! Those who have been playing Super Mario 3D World (which is just an awesome game), know how much fun it is to use the Piranha Plant to gobble up everything in sight.
So in summary: May cannot get here soon enough.
Line up, nerds!