We'd like to start this post off by stating that we are beyond excited for X-Men: Days of Future Past and we are certain it will be amazing. X-Men: First Class is one of our favorite movies and it's definitely our favorite X-Men flick of the franchise, so the anticipation for the new one that links both worlds together is killing us. So we harp because we love.
A new poster (and a new trailer!) was released today for Days of Future Past and it's…something. It's definitely something. Once you get past the initial happiness of seeing all these mutants together, you'll notice there are at least five things very, very wrong with this poster. Shall we?
1. There's no delicate way to put this. Professor X, he of endless wisdom, patience and virtue, looks like he's farting fire. The combination of his hovering wheelchair and whatever is on fire below him gives the illusion that Charles Xavier has quite the method to, um, lift off. Sir Patrick Stewart deserves better.
2. We totally understand why Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) is large and in charge on the poster. He's the bridge between the future and the past. We get it. But why is Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique just as big as Wolverine? We assume she'll be a supporting character like in First Class, albeit a very important one, but really? She's bigger than both versions of Magneto and Professor X? This definitely reeks of a "Jennifer Lawrence is the It Girl and we need to make sure people know she's in this film" type thing. C'mon, guys.
3. Hey, Ellen Page! So, so happy you are on this poster. But while everyone is in character and/or looking very Sasha Fierce, it appears Kitty Pryde, aka Shadowcat, is just kind of standing there. We know what she looks like in character after her appearance in X-Men: The Last Stand (even though we don't like to mention that movie too often), so they can't be keeping her costume under wraps, right? Well, we hope they have a good reason for making the wonderful Ellen Page a statue in Wolverine's crotch. Then again, we'd give all our powers to be near Hugh Jackman's crotch.
4. Why are James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender facing away from each other instead of intimately embracing each other like the passionate couple they are?! Fine, it symbolizes how Young Erik and Young Charles are estranged and on different sides of the mutants vs. humans war, but we'd appreciate a poster featuring them in the same stance as Chris Hemsworth and Natalie Portman in this Thor: The Dark World poster. Thanks very much.
5. Yeah, Colossus is a cool character. But cool enough to be in front of (read: blocking) the great and powerful Magneto? Nope. Nope. Nope. Sir Ian McKellen belongs in the forefront! Is your name Sir Colossus? No, it's not. Get that weak mess back to the editors.
What do you guys think of the poster? And is everyone else hoping that Professor X develops a new fire-farting power? Just us? Fair enough.