Dancing With the Stars fans still bitter about the firing of Brooke Burke-Charvet have a new culprit to blame: The show's aging demo.
On the heels of the news that Fox Sports' Erin Andrews will replace Burke-Charvet as cohost for the upcoming 18th season, sources connected to the show tell E! News that the decision was made largely in order to try to lure back younger viewers. "They don't want the ratings to keep dipping," a source who works on the show said, adding that execs believe Erin will appeal to a younger group.
ABC had no comment except to confirm Andrews has been named as the new co-host.
Although Dancing routinely beat NBC's The Voice in its most recent season, it has been hemorrhaging young viewers in recent seasons—many of whom have switched over to The Voice.
In November, DWTS slipped to an all-time low in the key 18-49 demo, with an overall audience of 12 million viewers.
Andrews joins fellow new Dancing addition, musical director Ray Chew, who replaces longtime band leader Harold Wheeler.
Sources told us that Burke-Charvet had no idea her job was on the line, and that ABC told her about the decision Friday afternoon.
"I have enjoyed seven seasons co-hosting DWTS but understand the need for change considering the position of the show at this juncture," the mom of four said in a statement. "I've always been one to embrace change and looking forward to pursuing opportunities I previously wasn't able to entertain because of contractual obligations to the show. I've seen my fair share of shocking eliminations in the ballroom but this one takes the cake."
The 42-year-old star later thanked fans for their support, tweeting, "Thanks for all the love & support. I loved my time in the ballroom & I'll love my next chapter too. Change is positive. Love you guys!