Christopher Kane is known for his statement-making pieces.
From the shearling jacket Beyoncé wore during her 22-day vegan challenge to the spider web-ish gown Cate Blanchett rocked at her Paris Blue Jasmine premiere, the Scottish designer's edgy fashions are not for the faint at heart.
Before he shows his collection at London Fashion Week Monday, Feb. 17, check out the five things to know about Christopher Kane!
1. Edgy design isn't the only thing he's known for: Kane is famed for his expert tailoring and "unexpected embellishments," according to New York Magazine.
2. Anna Wintour helped start his career: When Kane's work at Central Saint Martins College was featured in Vogue in an article about student designers, the mag's editor showed up at his degree show and suggested he meet Donatella Versace. Within a week he was flown to Milan and became a consultant for the Versace collection.
3. He's a fashion-award winner: After graduating from Central Saint Martins, Kane launched his line with his textiles guru sister, Tammy Kane, in 2006. From there he went on to win the New Designer of the Year at the British Fashion Awards in 2007 and the Womenswear Designer of the Year Award at the British Fashion Awards in 2013.
4. He's a fashion chameleon: Kane never sticks to just one trend or type of look. "People always ask me why I change my collections so radically from season to season, and I think ‘I'm a designer, what do you expect?'" Kane told the Wall Street Journal. "I'm so interested in fabrics and new techniques. I'm always learning. You wouldn't ask a musician or an artist why they did something new. I think fashion is the same."
5. He draws inspiration from his Scottish family: "I've always been surrounded by lots of very strong women: my mum, all my aunties, my sisters," Kane said, according to Femalefirst.com. "I wanted to make clothes that felt Scottish to me. I always imagined my clothes being worn my older, really confident women. Older confident women with really fantastic bodies."