It seems as if Ride Along may not be your best bet this weekend.
The reviews are in for the new comedy starring Kevin Hart and Ice Cube, and they're not exactly favorable.
The film, also starring Laurence Fishburne and John Leguizamo, finds Hart, well, riding along with Ice Cube's cop character in hopes of getting his approval when it comes to proposing to his sister.
Here's a sampling of what the critics are saying about the flick that hit theaters today:
• "A lazy and listless buddy-cop action-comedy that fades from memory as quickly as its generic title," writes Scott Foundas of Variety. [Director] Tim Story seems as bored by the material as the audience, delivering action and jokes with a base level of technical competence but no particular flair."
• "Cube is solid as the impenetrable brick wall that Hart's comic barrage bounces off. Their odd-couple shtick delivers laughs. But more often than not Ride Along chokes on its own fumes," notes the Los Angeles Times' Betsy Sharkey.
• "It's January, when lemons fall of the Hollywood tree like assault weapons. Certainly the sourest comedy in the bunch is Ride Along, a collection of moldy gags that director Tim Story tries to polish," states Peter Travers of Rolling Stone.
• "This is a movie you keep watching only from lethargy," remarks Time magazine's Richard Corliss.
• "I'd have given all my popcorn for something unexpected, like a song-and-dance number, but Ride Along just plods along, not terrible but never particularly engaging," writes Moira MacDonald of the Seattle Times.
• "If you're looking for brainless action, hop in. But if you're aiming any higher, you'll probably want to find another ride," offers New York Daily News' Elizabeth Weitzman.