Harper Collins Publishers
Cameron Diaz is following in the footsteps of fellow blond actress-pal and health nut Gwyneth Paltrow. The Annie star recently released her first diet and lifestyle book, The Body Book, and it's already clear that this read will be one of the most buzzed-about books of 2014.
And even though a health and diet book doesn't exactly sound like a juicy gossip read, Cameron's book is brimming with some shocking (and actually really helpful!) tidbits, like how she used to struggle with extreme problem skin and exactly what she likes to have for breakfast every morning.
To give you an idea of the kinds of nuggets of Diaz wisdom we're talking about, we've taken the liberty to cherry pick some of our favorite highlights from the 288 page tome for your reading pleasure...
1. She Was a Junk Food Addict: You would never know it from looking at her, but Cameron grew up on fast food. "When I was in junior high, my friend's brother worked at Taco Bell," writes Cameron. "Every day after school, I would come by and order one bean burrito with extra cheese and extra sauce, no onions, and he would always give me two. Every day after school, I ate two bean burritos and a Coke. Every single day, for three years, that was what I ate."
2. She Struggled With Problem Skin for Years: Now you can add Diaz to the list of actors and actresses with flawless complexions who actually grew up battling acne. "I had terrible, terrible skin," she writes. "It was embarrassing, and I did everything I could think of to make it go away…Nothing helped for very long. The pimples were still there through high school and into my twenties, while I was modeling and acting…It was awkward and embarrassing and frustrating, and I always felt really bad about myself."
3. Her Favorite Holiday Treat? Pork Fat: Most of us like to gorge on gingerbread cookies or candy canes over the holidays, but Cameron's indulgence is all things pork. "We eat pork roast for Christmas, tacos the next day. I eat the pork skin, pork fat and the beef fat. That's my treat."
4. She Swears by Her Secret Breakfast Recipe: We really love what Cam has for breakfast every morning, and want to try it for ourselves. "In the mornings when I make oatmeal, instead of eating it with something sweet, I make a yummy concoction of sautéed zucchini with collard greens, caramelized shallots, and egg whites. I top it all off with ponzu sauce (a Japanese sauce made from rice vinegar and citrus) or some lemon juice," writes Cameron. Sounds scrumptious!
5. And We'll Leave You With One Last Bonus Cameron Tip—Squeeze Your Butt, Always: "Squeeze your butt muscles," writes Cameron. "Yes, right now, while you're sitting….With the recognition that we can build muscle by engaging it anytime, anywhere, all of our movements can become strengthening movements."