Nothing could stop some hobbits and dwarves from ruling the box office. Not even Ron Burgundy.
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug earned $31.5 million, making Peter Jackson's adventure-fantasy film the No.1 choice this weekend.
Frozen continued to fare very well at the box office, coming in at No.3, and making $19.2 million.
Several Award show contenders expanded to nationwide release this weekend and completed the top five movies.
David O. Russell's star-studded crime drama American Hustle took home $19.1 million and landed in the No.4 spot.
Saving Mr. Banks, which tells the story of Mary Poppins author P.L. Travers (Emma Thompson) resisting Walt Disney's (Tom Hanks) many attempts to make a musical about her creation, came in at No.5 and made $9.3 million.
Here's a complete rundown of the Friday-Sunday estimates, per Box Office Mojo:
1. The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: $31.5 million
2. Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues: $26.8 million
3. Frozen: $19.2 million
4. American Hustle: $19.1 million
5. Saving Mr. Banks: $9.3 million
6. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire: $8.75 million
7. Tyler Perry's A Madea Christmas: $8.5 million
8. Walking With Dinosaurs: $7.3 million
9. Dhoom 3: $3.3 million
10. Thor: The Dark World: $1.3 million