Annette Brown/The CW
Annette Brown/The CW
Could Jeremy Gilbert be heading to Starling City?!
If The Vampire Diaries' Steven R. McQueen has his way, you'll be seeing him guest star on another hit CW series soon: Arrow!
When we were on the set of the vampire drama for its milestone 100th episode, McQueen revealed his geeky side to us, admitting he's a huge comic book fan, which is what led to his somewhat-serious campaign to land quite the plum job on the Stephen Amell-fronted series as Nightwing!
(Please hold while we daydream about McQueen in a superhero suit for a quick moment or two, please and thank you!)
"I started tweeting the Arrow writer's room and I was like, 'You should be me to guest star as Nightwing. I wrote them jokingly and they ended up tweeting casting," McQueen explains to us. "So I am putting that energy in the universe! It's on camera now, it's gotta happen!"
And it's an energy we are definitely feeling as we think McQueen would be the perfect actor to take on the role of Dick Grayson and here are five reasons why:
1. He has the connections: McQueen has worked with Arrow executive producer Greg Berlanti before on Everwood, so that's working in his favor, as is the fact that his Vampire Diaries boss Julie Plec is a good friend of Berlanti's and co-executive produces the network's new hit series The Tomorrow People with him. "I hear they're producing a little show together," McQueen jokes of their friendship.
2. He really wants it: McQueen recently posted a photo of himself working out in a Nightwing t-shirt, with the caption, "Nightwing training." Isn't he such a tease? (Also, subtlety is clearly his strong suit.)
3. Arrow is expanding its world: Roy Harper (Colton Haynes) is currently on track to don a superhero suit in the near future, with Haynes telling E! News' Marc Malkin, " I do have a fitting this week for I don't know what. They didn't tell me. I never have fittings ever, so who knows?" Could someone be transforming into Speedy soon?!
Plus, the show is also introducing fans to Barry Allen (Grant Gustin) aka The Flash in an upcoming episode with the hopes of launching a spinoff. We can't imagine a better character to introduce next than Dick Grayson (who becomes Nightwing after giving up his first superhero identity Robin), no? Origins stories, so hot right now.
4. He's friends with Colton Haynes: Just imagine those two on screen together. (It wouldn't offend our eyes. That's what we're saying. And yes, we're shallow.)
5. Again, because we're shallow: Because Jeremy became a hunter on The Vampire Diaries, McQueen became best friends with the gym (and lead to his comic book obsession, he tells us), a friendship we fully support. So why not put all that hard work (and muscle) to good use by taking on the role of a superhero? OK fine, we want to see him in a suit.
Arrow airs tonight at 8 p.m. on the CW and The Vampire Diaries airs tomorrow at 8 p.m. on the CW.