As predicted, Ender's Game was the No.1 movie at the box office, earning $28 million in its debut weekend.
The sci-fi film tells the story of a gifted boy drafted into military school in an apocalyptic future where the first order of business is defending the planet against a coming alien invasion. The all-star cast includes Harrison Ford, Asa Butterfield (as Ender), Ben Kingsley, Hailee Steinfeld, Viola Davis and Abigail Breslin.
Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa continued to fare well with moviegoers, raking in $20.5 million and landing in the No.2 spot.
The animated kid-friendly flick Free Birds, took home $16.2 million and landed at No.4.
Gravity, earning $13.1 million, rounded out the top 5. It has grossed more than $219 million since its release 5 weeks ago.
Here's a complete look at the weekend's top movies, Friday-Sunday studio estimates and stats as compiled per Box Office Mojo:
1. Ender's Game: $28 million
2. Jackass Presents: Bad Grandpa: $20.5 million
3. Last Vegas: $16.5 million
4. Free Birds: $16.2 million
5. Gravity: $13.1 million
6. Captain Phillips: $8.5 million
7. 12 Years a Slave: $4.6 million
8. Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs 2: $4.2 million
9. Carrie: $3.4 million
10. The Counselor: $3.2 million