The investigation revolving around Cory Monteith's death has closed.
An autopsy and toxicity screening in July showed that the 31-year-old Glee star died of an overdose, officially referred to as mixed drug toxicity, with heroin and alcohol being among the substances found in his body, but the coroner's final report, obtained by E! News today, offers more information on the actor's last moments and also stated that the death was ruled accidental.
"Investigators at the scene found drug paraphernalia, including a spoon with drug residue and a used hypodermic needle, along with two empty champagne bottles and glasses. The investigation confirmed that hotel video captured Mr. Monteith returning alone to his room at 2:16 a.m. on July 13, and that he was not seen alive again," the report said.
"It was also confirmed that he had a history of illicit drug use with intermittent periods of rehabilitation and of abstinence from drugs. It is noted that if someone has abstained from using opioids (which include heroin) for a period of time, tolerance may be lessened."
Monteith was found deceased in his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim hotel in downtown Vancouver, B.C., shortly after noon on July 13. He had checked into the hotel on July 6 and had been expected to check out on the day he died. When he had not checked out, hotel staff checked his room and found him unresponsive on the floor.
The TV star, who spent about a month in rehab this past spring, talked candidly in June about abusing drugs as a teenager and his ongoing battle with substance abuse. "I'm lucky on so many counts—I'm lucky to be alive," he told Parade. "I had a serious problem."
"He was super committed to getting sober," a source close to Monteith told E! News. "He would say this was his last chance."
If you or someone you know needs help with addiction issues, contact Narcotics Anonymous.