Talk about making waves!
But it takes a lot more than a curling iron to achieve their soft waves. Luckily for us, we've tapped their hairstylists to give us a step-by-step guide to recreating their head turning hairstyles.
The Mad Men star gave us a fab blast from the past with her curly bob, which was inspired by images from the 1930s, as well as Bottega Veneta's fall-winter 2013 show. Hair guru Gregory Russell gave her gorgeous red locks a modern twist by making sure to add a lot of texture.
Here's what he did:
1. Prep damp hair with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Boost & Lift Foaming Air Mousse, applying at the roots and length for touchable volume.
2. Rough blow-dry hair until it's 90 percent dry. Use a Mason Pearson brush and blow out hair in sections to create texture and a bouncy wave. Once hair is dry, create a deep side part.
3. Take a section of the hair and spray it with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Waves Hairspray to give hair definition and minimize frizz. Curl the section with a half-inch curling iron for 15 seconds and then pin to let it cool. Curl hair with a half-inch wand iron for a bouncy, looser wave and a half-inch marcel iron for a smoother wave, alternating irons to create a textured, modern look.
4. Let pinned hair cool for 15-20 minutes to create a tight wave and then backcomb unpinned hair around the nape to give hair more volume and create a good shape. Apply Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Color Gloss Crème around the part to show definition.
5. Lastly, finish style with Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Flexible Hold Hairspray to lock your look in place.
Like Hendricks, Kaling went for soft, textured waves, but the actress—who sports mid-length hair—gave the illusion of a short bob with the help of hairstylist Christopher Naselli.
"I wanted to balance the strong, architectural lines of Mindy's dress with a gorgeous, softly waved, asymmetrical style," Naselli explained in a release. "This beautiful faux-bob with glamorous, textured waves pulled to one side framed her face perfectly."
Here's how you can frame your own face with Kaling's look:
1. Work a small amount of René Furterer Vegetal Mousseinto damp hair and and blow-out with a medium-sized brush for a volume.
2. Create a defined side part, then apply a small amount of René Furterer Vegetal Sculpting Gel to the left section, starting from the hairline to just under the left ear. After combing the hair back, clip hair below ear to secure into place.
3. Style the front and side sections by first taking 1-inch sections of hair towards the face and twisting it around an one-inch barrel curling iron. Spray each section with Oribe Heat Styling Spray to protect the hair from heat and to lock in the wave. Clip each section and allow to cool.
4. Working your way around the head, curl each section to create horizontal waves in alternating directions down to the ends of the hair. To do so, place horizontal sections of hair in the iron, leaving the ends out and rotating the iron once. Then flip the direction of the iron and created another wave below the first. Continue this way down to the ends, then clip the hair and let it cool. This technique creates that soft, defined wave.
5. Use a wide-tooth comb and cool air from a blow-dryer set on low to loosen and texturize the curls.
6. Apply a small amount of René Furterer Styling Wax to the front section to add hold and maximum shine. Comb the section back and pin it just above the right temple.
7. After removing clips from the left side, I secure hair with a pin below the left ear.
8. To create the faux bob, pin the hair under at the hairline and let loose pieces fall out for a fresh, modern finish.
9. Finish by spraying René Furterer vegetal finishing spray to set the style and follow with a light spritz of René Furterer glossing spray to add maximum shine.