Okay, so it's not little tuxedos, but it's just as cool!
New Girl's Zooey Deschanel instagrammed her fab Emmy mani─and we're loving the simple black-and-white look. The mani complimented her gorgeous ice-blue J. Mendel column dress (she also showed up with some serious wrist bling to offset her graphic nails). The actress added a large Chanel ring to complete her look.
Deschanel has showcased other whimsical manis at past award shows: at last year's Golden Globes, the actress rocked ultra-Hollywood white, black, and gold nails with a film reel design. At the 2012 Emmys, she wore a quirky peach polka-dot design dotted with Swarovski crystals.
L'Oréal Paris Global Nail Artist Tom Bachik wanted to create a nail look that simple, graphic and not too literal. To contrast the softness of the dress, Tom created a checkered pattern using stark black and white shapes.
To recreate Zooey's color-contrast nails, follow these five easy steps:
1. Apply L'Oréal Paris Colour Riche Nail in I Will! ($5.99) to all nails.
2. Using a striper, draw a plus sign on the nail to divide it into four quarters.
3. Then apply L'Oréal Paris Colour Riche Nail in After Hours ($5.99) to create the checkerboard pattern in a reverse pattern from finger to finger.
4. Using the back of a makeup brush for a tip, paint on tiny dots for to create the 3-D textured sequin effect.
5. To complete the look, spin the brush of the L'Oréal Paris Colour Riche Nail in After Hours ($5.99) on thumbs to create a tiny mustache.
What do you think of Zooey's graphic-chic mani? Sound off in the comments.