Talk about a royal embarrassment.
After Prince Andrew was mistaken for an intruder at Buckingham Palace while strolling through the gardens Wednesday evening, police have since apologized to the Duke of York while denying reports claiming the 53-year-old royal was "held at gunpoint."
"On Wednesday, 4 September at approximately 1800hrs two uniformed officers approached a man in the gardens of Buckingham Palace to verify his identity," London's Metropolitan Police said in a statement. "The man was satisfactorily identified."
The statement added that "no weapons were drawn and no force was used."
"We can confirm that the man spoken to by officers was The Duke of York," police said. "We are making this public with His Royal Highness's permission. We are grateful to The Duke for his understanding and have apologized for any inconvenience caused."
Prince Andrew also issued a statement, saying he is "grateful" for the apology from police authorities.
"The police have a difficult job to do balancing security for the Royal Family and deterring intruders, and sometimes they get it wrong," Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie's father said. "I am grateful for their apology and look forward to a safe walk in the garden in the future."
The incident comes on the heels of a real security breach at Buckingham Palace after a man reportedly scaled a security fence and entered the building before he was detained by authorities last week.
Per BBC News, the man was arrested after he was found "in an area currently open to the public during the day" on suspicion of burglary, trespassing and criminal damage.
A second man was also arrested outside the palace on suspicion of conspiracy to commit burglary.
Both men have since been released on bail.