Ah, sweet summer: A season of loose waves, warm makeup hues and effortless tans. As the days of endless sunshine come to a close, we're looking back at some of the beauty trends that made a bang with our favorite Hollywood celebrities.
Many famous ladies surprised us this season with daring beauty moves, including quick blond-to-brunette transitions and chopping it all off (Beyoncé's pixie was the cut heard ‘round the world).
Other celebs kept their pinned waves loose and warmed their complexions with berry-hued lips. We're as much a fan of teal liner as Taylor Swift and January Jones, and can't wait to try the French side braid à la Kristen Stewart (who rocked the look during Paris Couture Fashion Week).
Read ahead for the best summer beauty trends in 2013:
1. Punchy Red Lips: Stars stepped out sporting bright red pouts this summer, with shades ranging from pinky corals to darker crimson hues. At the MTV Video Music Awards this past Sunday, Miley Cyrus showed out (and let her tongue fly) with coral-red lips. Scandal star Kerry Washington wore a sweet red hue on her pout to the 2013 Teen Choice Awards. And earlier in the season, Scarlett Johansson showcased a darker berry shade on the Tony Awards' red carpet.
2. Side French Braids: Talk about adorable—a new wave of French braids has hit red carpets, and we love the mellow take on the ‘do. Stars like Jennifer Aniston and Kristen Stewart have stepped out with single French side braids to offset their luscious locks, while Khloé Kardashian Odom showcased a triple-threat version of the look, attending an Ulta Beauty event with three French side braids framing her face.
3. Bombshell Blond: We can't forget about the blondes! This summer saw a crop of starlets trading in their natural brunette locks for a lighter, golden hue. Some of the most dramatic transformations were also the most fabulous, with brown-to-blond switches from actresses Gabrielle Union, Sofía Vergara and Minka Kelly.
4. Blue Eyeliner: Teal liner is no longer for seventh graders trying their hand at eye makeup for the first time: Stars like Taylor Swift, Kourtney Kardashian and January Jones are sporting a more sophisticated version of the look by defining their eyes with soft shades of turquoise and cobalt blue. Actress Katie Holmes went for a darker shade, wearing a navy-rimmed eye in her ad campaign for Bobbi Brown Cosmetics.
5. The Bob: Celebs weren't afraid to go shorter-than-shoulder this year. Some of the best new bobs we saw this season include Karlie Kloss' flirty cut with swideswept bangs (which even The New York Times called "the haircut of the moment"). Julianne Hough and Brittany Snow were also standouts sporting blond bobs, with Brittany sporting a wavy version of the look and Julianne slicking her shortened locks back.
6. Loose Pinned Waves: The pinned waves of Old Hollywood were made new this season with leading ladies wearing a looser version of the look. Amy Adams prefers these soft, romantic waves for red carpet appearances, while Jessica Alba has been spotted out with a retro-version of the style.
7. Unexpected Pixie Cuts: What hasn't been said about Beyoncé's cropped blond hairdo? While the singer quickly switched to an angular bob for performances and red carpet events, she did set the stage for another hot cropped cut this summer—Coco Rocha's long-in-front, short-in-back pixie. The model showcased her new look with a series of Instagram photos showing the pixie cut in-progress at an Allure photo shoot.
Which hot summer beauty trend is your favorite?