Summer's coming to its end, but that doesn't mean the good times have to stop! Make the most of the warm rays and laid-back vibes by throwing one more summer fete before fall—a gathering of friends and family for a party that will ring out this summer even as we begin to dream of next year's.
1. BYO Décor: Why not tell friends to bring a special item to place around your party area? Like paper pinwheels, homemade fans, jars filled with whatever the beach can offer. You can decorate—as a group!—the space's solid surfaces and walls with the trinkets your friends bring to the table. The results will be both eclectic and personalized.
2. Themed Décor: Then again, there's nothing like a party with a good off-kilter theme. We like the idea of a '70s glam or vintage beach party theme, the former with the appropriate garb (feathered hair, anyone?) and the latter with limbo, tiki lights and wood or shell-accented ornamentation.
3. Throwback-to-Summer Tunes: Create a summer party playlist that harks back to your favorite songs of this season. We still want to get down to "Get Lucky," "Blurred Lines" and "We Can't Stop"—your guests will too!
4. Dance Off: Hold one-on-one dance off rounds to the tunes you love (all of the above, naturally). Last hurrahs for summer require dancing, after all.
5. Varied Menu: Create a menu of staple finger foods from different cultures, like Greek-inspired sliders, Spanish tortilla and Jamaican jerked chicken wings. The Athenos Mediterranean turkey sliders recipe below will make a tasty and healthy option to feed your guests.
Mediterranean Turkey Sliders
1 lb. ground turkey
2 tbsp. drained and chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp. minced garlic
½ cup plus 3 Tbsp. ATHENOS Traditional Crumbled Feta Cheese, divided
¼ cup plus 2 Tbsp. tzatziki
12 slider buns
1 cup tightly packed baby spinach leaves
½ small roasted red pepper strips
Instructions: Heat oven to 450ºF. Mix turkey, tomatoes, parsley, garlic and 1/2 cup cheese just until blended; shape into 12 (1/2-inch thick) patties. Place on baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 8 to 10 min. or until done (165ºF). Meanwhile, combine remaining cheese and tzatziki; spread onto cut sides of buns. Fill buns with burgers, spinach and peppers.