Even a pretty solid answer didn't stop the search for more answers yesterday when it came to Cory Monteith.
After the BC Coroners Service announced that the Glee star had died of mixed drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol, speculation began as to whether yet another substance—namely, the opiate fentanyl—contributed to the Glee star's sudden death at 31.
"Toxicology results did not indicate any presence of the drug fentanyl," the coroner's office said in a statement Wednesday.
Fentanyl is an opioid narcotic with similar behavior as morphine and, according to a report circulating among Canadian media outlets, experts are considering a possible link between it and an uptick in heroin overdoses in Abbotsford, British Columbia.
"Our frontline officers have spoke with many individuals who have reported being concerned about the potency of heroin that is currently being bought, sold and used," Constable Ian MacDonald told CBC News this morning. "A possible explanation for the increased potency and the overdose may be the presence of fentanyl in the drugs."
Per the report, the B.C. Provincial Health Officer issued a warning in May that there had been a spike in heroin overdoses linked to fentany, with 23 reported cases in the first four months of this year.
But as the BCCS reiterated, Monteith's tox screen turned up only alcohol and heroin. Coroner's spokeswoman Barb McClintock also said yesterday that the investigation into his death is ongoing, while Vancouver Police spokesman Brian Montague called it "a tragic accident."
Hotel staffers found the actor dead in his room at the Fairmont Pacific Rim in downtown Vancouver on Saturday after he had missed his 12 p.m. checkout time.
Monteith's remains have reportedly since been cremated at his mother's request. Reps for Lea Michele said Tuesday that she "has been grieving alongside his family and making appropriate arrangements with them. They are supporting each other as they endure this profound loss together."
Kevin Parry for Paley Center for Media
Following a stay in rehab, Monteith had opened up about his battles with substance abuse in the months leading up to his death. Multiple sources have told E! News that he seemed very committed to remaining sober, but the extent of his troubles are really only coming to light in sad hindsight.
One friend revealed that Monteith had been using both heroin and crystal meth.
"Cory fought his demons and the demons won," said another pal. "Cory wasn't going out and doing these things to have fun. He couldn't stop. He tried. He just couldn't."