In the battle of this weekend's sequels, the grown ups couldn't stop the minions.
In spite of the debut of Grown Ups 2, Despicable Me 2 continued to dominate at this weekend's box office, raking in $44.8 million.
Universal Picture's animated hit, which cost about $76 million to make, has already grossed over $400 million worldwide, according to Deadline.
Adam Sandler's comedy flick wasn't far behind, landing at No. 2 with $42.5 million in its first weekend--opening at about $2 million higher than the 2010 original.
Meanwhile, sci-fi flick Pacific Rim debuted in third with $38.3 million, followed by The Heat at $14 million and The Lone Ranger at $11.1 million.
Here's a complete look at the weekend's top movies, per Friday-Sunday studio estimates and stats as compiled per Box Office Mojo:
1. Despicable Me 2, $44.8 million
2. Grown Ups 2, $42.5 million
3. Pacific Rim, $38.3 million
4. The Heat, $14 million
5. The Lone Ranger, $11.1 million
6. Monsters University, $10.6 million
7. World War Z, $9.4 million
8. White House Down, $6.2 million
9. Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain, $5 million
10. Man of Steel, $4.8 million