The name's Mendes. Sam Mendes. And he's ready to return for another James Bond adventure.
The Skyfall director, who had previously stated he would not helm 007's 24th outing, has had a change of heart.
"I am very pleased that by giving me the time I need to honor all my theatre commitments, the producers have made it possible for me to direct Bond 24," Mendes said in a statement on Thursday. "I very much look forward to taking up the reigns again, and to working with Daniel Craig, Michael G. Wilson and Barbara Broccoli for a second time."
It was back in March when Mendes initially turned down an offer to helm the next Bond flick.
"Directing Skyfall was one of the best experiences of my professional life," he said in an interview with Empire. "But I have theatre and other commitments, including productions of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and King Lear, that need my complete focus over the next year and beyond."
At the time, though, Mendes did not rule out the possibility of returning to the Bond fold down the line. "I feel very honored to have been part of the Bond family and very much hope I have a chance to work with them again sometime in the future," he explained.
Thankfully, the future is now.
With over $1 billion in global box office receipts, Skyfall is the highest-grossing film in the franchise's 50-year history. It stands as one of the most rousingly received entries in the Bond canon, and many credited Mendes with invigorating the franchise by bringing a rich depth and complexity to the Bond persona, and providing a telling glimpse into his elusive backstory.
At the Oscars this year, it won two awards, including Best Original Song for Adele's sultry, eponymous theme.
Oscar-nominated screenwriter John Logan has penned the script for Bond 24.
The film is set for release in UK theaters on Oct. 23, 2015 and in U.S. theaters on Nov. 6, 2015.