Many Americans took to the streets of Washington D.C. today to celebrate the Supreme Court's declaration of the Defense Against Marrage Act ("DOMA") as unconstitutional.
Revelers were all smiles as they proudly waved rainbow colored flags, held up signs supporting marriage equality and hugged their loved ones tightly! But if you're nowhere near the nation's capital on this historic day and you have a serious fear of missing out, we've rounded up a variety of ways you can get in on the merry making—right from the comfort of your own home.
Sure, you can take to Twitter, just like celebrities Jesse Tyler Ferguson, Ben Affleck, Lena Dunham, Demi Lovato, and many more famous faces did, but if you've already done that and are looking for more creative ways to toast the ruling, we've got you covered!
Check out six ways to celebrate the Supreme Court's decision to shoot down DOMA:
1. Get Your Drank On: Everyone knows there's no better way to get a party started than with a couple of cocktails. But special occasions call for specialty drinks, and a rainbow colored libation is the perfect way to toast the ruling. Just make sure you put down the martini glass before you actually start seeing all the colors of the rainbow…
2. Get to Googling: No rainbow flag? No problem! If you don't have a colorful banner to wave on the streets, Google offers a handy virtual solution. Simply Google the word "gay" and voila! A multi-colored banner frames the search box. The celebratory rainbow also pops up when you search for "homosexual" and other related words and phrases. Make a game of it to see what other searches will get the celebratory rainbow to pop up!
3. Let Them Eat Cake: Remember the red-and-pink marriage equality box that took social media by storm a few months ago? Well, there's a cake recipe based on its design and it has a whopping five layers. Bake one up and enjoy the sweet, sweet taste of victory.
4. Double the Fun: With all the rainbow flags flying everywhere, take the time to appreciate the rare natural occurrence of a double rainbow with the guy who helped make them famous. Yell out in ecstasy, laugh and cry along with him as you rejoice!
5. Step Out in Style: If you plan on hitting the town with friends later tonight, make sure to dress the part. Domestic diva Martha Stewart shows us how to create a colorful tie-dye tee with the use of fuss-free Sharpies. No wringing or messy dyes necessary. Now that's what we call Living, Martha!
6. Get Down: Do as Edith Windsor does and plan yourself a dance party! A friend of the woman who successfully challenged DOMA told People that Windsor plans on celebrating by having a dance party on Saturday night. So, go on, drop it like it's hot in the name of equality.
Are you planning on celebrating today's DOMA ruling?