Brad Goreski is taking over The Trend as May's guest editor! The stylist and star of It's a Brad Brad World will be sharing fashion and beauty advice all month long. And since one of the year's biggest fashion events has just wrapped up, we of course had to get Brad's take on all the wild trends at the 2013 Met Gala. Read on for his tips on working a smoky eye, leather and more in to real-life!
The word being passed around the most in recent months in the fashion world was "punk" due to the theme of this year's Metropolitan Museum Gala theme, inspired by the Punk: From Chaos to Couture exhibit at the museum. Stylists, editors, designers and celebrities were all trying to figure out what the word meant to them and how it related to their style. As we can see from the red carpet at Monday night's event, everyone had a different interpretation, but there were some consistent trends that appeared multiple times that could be used in your everyday life to help you get a more edgy or "punk" look.
1. Studs: Studs are the easiest way to add some edge to your outfit. If you aren't as brave as Madonna to wear a jacket covered in studs, try it with accessories: a clutch like Jessica Alba or a studded stiletto heel.
2. Leather: Everyone should have a great leather jacket in their wardrobe. It is perfect to wear with a T-shirt and jeans and great pair of high tops. They are also great to through over an evening look to add a rock 'n' roll element to a lady like silhouette. One of my favorite looks is "edgy lady," which means taking a staple in a woman's wardrobe and giving it a twist. Try switching our your regular pencil skirt for a leather one and put it with a great white tee or even better a lacy blouse. Leather and lace is such a sexy combination.
3. Smoky Eye: The smoky eye was everywhere on the Met Gala red carpet: from the extreme—do not try Ginnifer Goodwin's look at home!—to the more subdued—Taylor Swift 's perfectly shaped smoky cat eye. Practice makes perfect with this beauty trend, so make sure to give it a try before a big night out. When I discuss hair and makeup direction with my clients, it is the same as when I am styling a look for them, pick one thing and build around it. If you do a smoky eye, chances are you will not want to do a strong lip as well. It's never good to gild the lily.
4. Sheer: Peekaboo sheer panels have been a big trend on the runways for the past few seasons. They can be as daring as Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in Gucci, or show a hint of skin like Stacy Keibler in Rachel Roy. This look is easy to try with items you may already have in your closet. Try a sheer sleeved blouse and pair it with some skinny jeans and heels for a sexy evening look or try a thin cotton tee shirt with your favorite black bra for a peek a boo moment. Throw a black blazer over it and your are ready for a night on the town.
5. Nail It: Nail art has taken the red carpet by storm and the Met Gala was no exception. From Anne Hathway's tri-color neon nails to Emmy Rossum's lace and studs manicure, the skies the limit. Let your nails do the talking!