Being a Star Trek fan just got better!
Less than two weeks after the first teaser trailer, well, teased us, along comes this longer look at the highly anticipated sequel, Star Trek Into Darkness.
Sure, there's still plenty that's being kept secret when it comes to director J.J. Abrams' flick, but this will definitely get people talking nevertheless.
Here's a look at five things we picked up on...
1. Melancholy Moment: "There's greatness in you, but not an ounce of humility. But there's going to come a moment when you're wrong about that. And you're going to get yourself, and everyone under your command, killed," Admiral Pike (Bruce Greenwood) can be heard telling Chris Pine's Kirk in a voiceover. Sure enough, this is followed up by several shots of peril, danger and what appear to be coffins that certainly seem to back up what the guy is saying.
2. Interesting Insignia: Benedict Cumberbatch's villain is clearly wearing a black Starfleet shirt, so he either is or is pretending to be in Starfleet. While the character has been identified as "John Harrison," most observers think this could simply be an alias used by the baddie to hide a more familiar name from the Star Trek canon, possibly Khan or Gary Mitchell. (Screenwriter Damon Lindelof ain't telling...we think)
3. Speaking of Shirts: What's up with Chekhov sporting a red one? After all, he always wore yellow on the show. Red, in the original series, meant engineering or security while yellow meant comand/bridge crew. Could there a new gig for him on the ship?
4. Home Sweet Home: At one point, the Enterprise appears as if it's either crashing into or rising out of the San Francisco Bay. Of course, the city is where one can find the Starfleet Academy.
5. Déjà Vu: One of the final shots in the trailer shows Spock (Zachary Qunto) and Kirk touching hands on opposite sides of a window pane, which is reminiscent of the scene in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan where Spock dies.
Star Trek Into Darkness is due to hit theaters on May 17, 2013.