Michael Reynolds-Pool/Getty Images
The first presidential debate between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney was, according to Twitter, the most tweeted-about U.S. political event ever.
You didn't think celebrities were going to stay out of the fray, did you?!
Obama got his usual hefty share of accolades from Hollywood's corner of the Twitterverse, but Romney's strong showing behind the podium earned plenty of attention, as well—from his already stalwart fans and staunch Obama supporters alike. Check out who weighed in on tonight's happenings:
• Bill Maher: "my rating: Romney won the debate, Obama had the facts on his side, and Lehrer sucked. Next debate, get @SethMacFarlane to host!"
• Alec Baldwin: "Obama is a potentially great man who remains mildly uncomfortable in public life. Mitt is a gifted off-shore money tycoon and tax preparer."
• Eva Longoria: "I'm in New Zealand watching the presidential debate! Obama is killing it on health care! #Obama2012."
• Rob Lowe: "Watched a lot of debates, that was a real blood-letting. #POTUSwiffs #Mittenssticks."
• Olivia Wilde: "Mittens, if you want the federal gov't out of our health care decisions, then stay the F out of our VAGINAS. #debate2012."
• Elisabeth Hasselbeck: "It's not about LIKING @BarackObama Obama ( And I do) It's about NEEDING @MittRomney Romney ( and we all do) #Debate2012 #debate #Debate2012."
• Gabrielle Union: "Did The President just say 'Math, common sense and history...' #POTUS #Debates Bring it!"
• Lady Gaga: "I believe its important to note before this begins that Romney is a millionaire and paid well below the average tax rate, paying only 13.9%."
• Samuel L. Jackson: "What future generations is Mitt the guardian of?! I think dude just wants to add Leader Of The Free World to his resume'!"
• Albert Brooks: "Next debate will be moderated by Miss Piggy before she loses her job." And: "Between these two explanations of health care I don't know what the f--k is happening."
• Ivanka Trump: "#Romney really rose to the occasion tonight! #BigNight #Debate2012 #debate #CantAfford4More."
• Mark Ruffalo: "#Romney Okay. This is a great performance. I almost believed that Mitt cares about the hurting 47% that he said he didn't care about. Oscar?" And: "What I think is going to be awesome to see is how Obama deals with tonight. The next debate is going to rock. Rocky Balboa??"
• Dean Cain: "Romney looks like the next President to me. I'm looking forward to next year. #Romney"
• Michael Moore: "Ok, here's my optimistic tweet: Romney didn't convince a single Obama voter to change their vote. But O needed to fire up the base. Not done."
• Patton Oswalt: "It doesn't matter that Mitt lied through his fucking teeth. He had to change the narrative. He did it. #sociopath #debate."
• Roseanne Barr: "Undecided voters know this is a wash."
• Ronan Farrow: "No laughs at the Trump line? What voodoo did Grandpa Lehrer do on this audience?"
• Sarah Silverman: "Mitt has Republican good looks."
• Jon Lovett: "Ugh. This debate is going just well/badly enough that both sides can claim victory with conviction. Annoying."