The trailer for Paranormal Activity 4 is out, and it's safe to say the latest go-around pays plenty of homage to successful predecessors like Poltergeist, The Omen and The Sixth Sense just to name a few.
E! News runs down five of the most frightful bits appearing in the teaser ahead of Paranormal Activity 4's release on Oct. 19, two weeks before Halloween, natch.
1. Here's the Story: The fourth sequel picks up five years after Paranormal Activity 2 and finds franchise star Katie Featherston reprising her role as the possessed Katie, now a single mom, as she and her son "Robbie" (kidnapped as a baby in the earlier film) move into a new neighborhood. Kathryn Newton plays newcomer Alice, whose family takes Robbie (Brady Allen) in when Katie's hospitalized for unexplained reasons and begin recording the strange occurrences going on at night after his arrival.
2. Let the Thrills Begin! With the new kid in the house, bad things start to happen—like the foyer chandelier falling and nearly killing Alice. "I don't think it was an accident," she tells her mom. Ya think?
3. We've Seen This Before!Heather O'Rourke, the young blonde child star of TobeHooper's 1982 classic, Poltergeist, sent chills up our spine as she stood in front of a snow-filled TV set under the spell of some unknown demon. PA 4 takes it to another level with so-called "tracking dots" which light up the living room, and of course, add another level of suspense to the bizarre middle of the night wanderings of Robbie.
4. Building a mythology: As Alice and her male companion discover, ancient symbols appear to play a role in Robbie's purported possession—a triangle with a circle in it.
5. Uplifting Entertainment: Okay, so William Friedkin's 1973 horror masterpiece The Exorcist got here first, but so what. This shot of Alice levitating off her bed by a supernatural force is still pretty darn scary.