Getty Images, AP Images
Getty Images, AP Images
This summer was quite a doozy.
Between headline-making haircuts, surprising engagements and shocking deaths, we witnessed a Hollywood A-list marriage crumble, one horrific movie theater tragedy and a cheating scandal between one of Tinsletown's It couples.
But that's not all—read on to review the five biggest stories of this summer.
1. Robsten Scandal: Jaws dropped and Twi-hards' hearts everywhere broke (after overcoming their denial) when the news of Kristen Stewart cheating on Robert Pattinson was revealed. K.Stew's fling with her Snow White and the Huntsman director Rupert Sanders—who is married to Liberty Ross, Kristen's SWATH castmate and mother to his two children—shocked fans everywhere.
Ryan Turgeon / Splash News, Oak-Thorton/INFphoto.com
2. TomKat Split: You would think love was not in the air this summer with all that has happened. Another surprising split was between Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise. The actress filed for divorce from her husband of five years in June. Luckily, their divorce settlement was reached fairly quickly and Suri's best interests were at heart.
And that way, Suri was able to continue her day date adventures with mom.
3. Keepin' Up With Kimye: New couple alert! Longtime friends Kim Kardashian and Kanye West decided to take their kinship to a more romantic level. No one would confirm the relationship at first—although some not-so-subtle hints gave us our answer—but it didn't take too long before their love really started to blossom. And we were all left trying to keep up with Kimye.
Thomas Cooper/Getty Images; Warner Bros pictures
4. Dark Knight Rises Tragedy: Unfortunately, this summer also gave us a tragic memory. During the midnight showing of the highly anticipated Dark Knight Rises, viewers at a theater in Aurora, Colo., were victims of a horrific event when 24-year-old James Holmes opened fire during the showing, killing 12 people and injuring 58. Police arrested Holmes shortly after and began an investigation. The latest update on this case happened earlier this month when Holmes' attorneys claimed their client is mentally ill.
Nick Laham/Getty Images, FABRICE COFFRINI/AFP/GettyImages, MARTIN BUREAU/AFP/GettyImages
5. Olympics 2012: This year's summer games in London provided us with more than just great competition and exciting entertainment. Sure, getting gold medals in swimming, gymnastics, volleyball, soccer and basketball (to name a few) was awesome, but what was even better was getting to know—and stare at—some breakout Olympians and athletes on a different level (Hi, Ryan Lochte).