Batman is once again flying free. Which should make the rest of his press tour rather interesting.
Christian Bale has been released on bail after spending more than four hours in police custody at a central London station being interrogated over allegations he assaulted his 61-year-old mom, Jenny, and 40-year-old sister, Sharon, Sunday night.
"Mr. Bale, who denies the allegation, cooperated throughout, gave his account
in full of the events in question, and has left the station without any charge being made against him by the police," the actor's lawyers at the high-powered London firm Schillings said in a statement.
"At this time, there will be no further comment by Mr. Bale."
He is due to return to the police station in September, pending further inquiries. Under British law, "police bail" does not require payment of a bond amount but simply a promise to return at the unspecified date.
He did, however, pay "modest" conditional fees, according to one of his lawyers.
The Dark Knight star was arrested earlier this morning after voluntarily turning up by appointment.
No details have yet been released over what allegedly transpired between the 34-year-old cinematic Caped Crusader and his female relations, but the incident purportedly took place in his room at London's posh Dorchester Hotel. Both women filed a report against the star Monday morning at their local police station.
The investigation was subsequently turned over to Scotland Yard. Authorities allowed Bale to attend Monday night's European premiere of the blockbuster before asking him to come in.
While neither woman has issued a formal statement on the incident, Bale's sister Sharon shouted, "It's a family matter" out of a window at her home in Dorset to the swarm of reporters gathered outside.
An unidentified man who answered the door of Bale's mother's Bournemouth home said the woman, who works as a circus performer, would not be commenting on the matter.
Bale was originally scheduled to participate in a round of radio interviews this afternoon, but his quality time with London's finest temporarily hindered his promotional capabilities.
It's unclear when or if those interviews will now take place—not that The Dark Knight is having trouble getting the word out on its release.
The film blew away all North American box-office records over the weekend, raking in $155.3 million its first three days out.
However, one of the actor's attorneys, Simon Smith, tells E! News that it was back to red carpet business as usual for the star, who is expected to make his next major appearance at the film's Spain premiere.
"I believe he is headed to Barcelona this evening," Smith said.
Meanwhile, Bale is still on schedule to continue work on his current project, Terminator Salvation, in New Mexico later this week, once promotional duties for The Dark Knight have wrapped.
—Additional reporting by Matt Donnelly
(Originally published July 22, 2008 at 9:55 a.m. PT.)