Alberto E. Rodriguez/Getty Images
In the days, hours, minutes, heck, even seconds after it was announced last Friday that Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes had called it quits, info surrounding the demise of TomKat started coming at a ridiculously rapid rate.
Not surprising, of course, seeing how we are talking about one of Hollywood's biggest (now former) couples.
But if it's been a little tough to keep up, rest easy, as we're here to help you keep track of all the divorce drama that has unfolded since the sad news broke...
MORE: Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes Divorcing
- Holmes files for divorce from Cruise on June 28 after a little more than five years of marriage. While there had been no indication of trouble between the two, the actress was largely absent while her husband was busy promoting Rock of Ages. "This is a personal and private matter for Katie and her family," Holmes' attorney says in a statement. "Katie's primary concern remains, as it always has been, her daughter [Suri]'s best interest." Meanwhile, Cruise's publicist tells E! News: "Tom is deeply saddened."
- According to some tabloid reports, Holmes not only filed in New York, but she may be seeking sole custody of 6-year-old Suri. "It's very interesting if she filed there," Paul Talbert, partner of Chemtob Moss Forman & Talbert LLP, tells E! Online's Answer B!tch. "If she filed in New York, as opposed to Colorado or California, that would lead me to believe that there is a significant purpose to that filing, and my best guess is that this is where she wants to live with Suri."
- Holmes hires New Jersey divorce lawyer Jonathan Wolfe and New York attorney Allan E. Mayefsky to represent her, per the Los Angeles Times.
PHOTOS: Tom & Katie: The Courtship
- Not surprisingly, Cruise and Holmes have a prenup. E! News has learned that the contract calls for payouts to Holmes in the event of a divorce, with specific amounts depending on how long they were married. Division of property and child custody are also discussed in the prenup, we're told, but the exact details are subject to negotiation.
- Speculation surfaces that Holmes did not feel comfortable with Cruise's commitment to Scientology and how it might eventually affect daughter Suri. "It was something she accepted and put up with for many years because it was important to Tom and, for that reason, important to her," a source close to Holmes tells E! News. "But over the past year, they had started to see things differently, and she was beginning to pull away."
- Cruise's lawyer, Bert Fields, speaks out regarding the pending divorce between Cruise and Holmes. "I would hope that it's not a contentious matter," Fields tells the Los Angeles Times. "I know Tom is not a particularly contentious person."
Download the new and improved but equally free E! Online app for iPhone, iPod touch and Android mobile devices
- The day after the news breaks, Cruise is spotted for the first time publicly since Holmes filed for divorce. The actor is seen in a helicopter taking off from an airport in Reykjavik, Iceland, where he had been filming his upcoming movie Oblivion. Incidentally, Holmes was photographed with Cruise less than two weeks ago in the same city.
- Church of Scientology tells E! News there is "no truth whatsoever" to a TMZ report that the organization has several unidentified men and vehicles tailing Holmes outside her New York City apartment.
- E! News is informed by attorney Dennis Wasser's office that the lawyer will now be representing Cruise in his divorce from Holmes. Wasser also represented Cruise in his divorce from Nicole Kidman.
MORE: Connor Cruise's "Family" Tweet No Surprise, Says Pal
- Holmes is spotted without her wedding ring while out and about in Manhattan, the first glimpse of her since she filed for divorce.
- Happy 50th birthday! Cruise landed atop Forbes' list of Hollywood's highest-paid actors over the past year, having raked in $75 million.
- Cruise and Kidman's 17-year-old son, Connor, tweets this seemingly poignant missive: "Friends Come And Go, But Family Is Forever."
- Cruise is spotted in the wee hours the following Tuesday boarding a private plane at the airport in Reykjavik, on his way back to the U.S.
MORE: Tom Cruise "33" Mystery—Weird Coincidences and Inside Details of His High-Profile Breakups
- In an interview with Elle magazine conducted six weeks before the split but published in July, Holmes seemingly foreshadowed events when she copped to entering a "new phase" in her life. She was also evasive when pressed about her marriage, saying, "He has been Tom Cruise for 30 years. I know who I am and where I am and where I want to go, so I want to focus on that."
- Holmes and Suri continue to be seen out and about in New York City, stopping by an ice cream parlor, shopping for Fourth of July goodies at a local Whole Foods store and swinging by a children's museum.
- Cruise celebrates his 50th birthday with a low-key bash at his Beverly Hills home with his two older kids, Connor and Isabella, along with extended family.
MORE: Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes' Quickie Divorce: What Does It Mean?
- Holmes sets the stage for the first round of a possible legal showdown after scheduling an order-to-show-cause hearing with a New York family court judge for July 17. The hearing would allow her to request a speedy temporary order before Cruise's legal team had a chance to respond.
- After remaining conspicuously silent, Cruise, via his lawyer Bert Fields, confirms to the BBC that the actor is planning to file for divorce but, for the moment, has opted to let his estranged ex "play the media" before making any moves. Fields also notes that "it's not Tom's style to do this publicly. He is really sad about what's happening."
- On July 9, Holmes and Cruise's respective attorneys announce that the ex-couple have quietly and privately reached a settlement, but decline to disclose details about child custody or financial arrangements. Earlier in the day, Holmes and Cruise release a joint statement reinforcing their focus on Suri: "We are committed to working together as parents to accomplish what is in our daughter Suri's best interests."
MORE: Inside Katie Holmes' New NYC Apartment!
- Holmes' attorney slams media reports claiming that the actress has won primary custody of Suri, and that the settlement stipulates that Holmes' personal employees—including a nanny and security team—accompany Suri on visits with her dad.
- Hours after announcing they've reached a settlement, Cruise lands in Mammoth, Calif., where he's scheduled to resume shooting on Oblivion. The next day, he's back on set for the first time in more than a week, where he's spotted without a wedding ring and is met with hugs from crew members. "He's staying in a private house by himself with some assistants, of course," a source tells E! News. "He is laying low and it seems to be strictly business."
(Originally published on Jul. 2, 2012, at 1:32 p.m. PT)
PHOTOS: Tom & Katie Family Album