Robsten die-hards, don't lose hope.
Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart may have called it quits after three years of dating due to a difference in "priorities." And indeed, the split may have left the actress "heartbroken" after things slowly started to unravel following their recent trip to New York, where she attended the 2013 Met Gala.
But, if there's one thing we've learned from their angsty Twilight Saga, it's that nothing—vampires, undead-versus-werewolf feuds and, indeed, young love—ever really dies, now does it? (After all, this is a couple whose relationship has weathered a headline-grabbing scandal.)
So in honor of all you Robsten optimists out there, here are seven couples who reunited after breaking up, all of whom eventually ended up getting engaged. How's that for a happy ending?
1. Hayden Panettiere and Wladimir Klitschko: The Nashville actress made it very clear that her on-again, off-again relationship with the Ukranian boxer is definitely on, but these two might be in it for the long haul this time. After ending their two-year relationship in May 2011 and then reconciling in January 2013, reports surfaced claiming that the duo were secretly engaged and planning a wedding. The actress, however, continues to play things coy, as she's remained tight-tipped about whether she'll be heading down the aisle.
2. Miley Cyrus & Liam Hemsworth: Happily ever afters aren't just the reserve of the movies. They're for movie stars as well. The singer and her fiancé are one example of that after announcing their engagement after three years of sometimes-dating. It seemed as though work kept getting in the way of the two, young lovebirds, but eventually, they decided to give their relationship another go. And although the couple have faced a bit of shakiness lately, sources reassure that the duo believe in working out their problems and the wedding is still on.
3. Justin Timberlake & Jessica Biel: No need to cry these two a river. Though the couple have been dating since 2007, their romance hasn't always been as smooth as Justin's moves, and they've been plagued with rumors of on-and-off coupling nearly since they stepped out as a twosome. Sadly, the rumor came true in March 2011 when the couple split—but not for good. Biel kept a low profile and Timberlake turned romantic, declaring his then-former better half to be "the most significant person in my life" in an aww-inducing interview with Vanity Fair. Cut to September 2011, when the duo was back on with a vengeance, leading to Justin popping the question to Jessica over the Christmas holiday. In October 2012, the couple tied the knot in Italy.
4. Prince William & Kate Middleton: Speaking of fairy-tale endings, their courtship was not only scrutinized by the world, but earned the Duchess of Cambridge the rather unflattering nickname of "Waity Katie." The sparks of their romance first ignited as undergrads at St. Andrews University, and kept going strong right up until, well, they weren't. In 2007, after five years together, the couple temporarily parted ways in an amicable split after engagement rumors reached a fever pitch. Maybe they were just the impetus the royal bachelor needed, because the couple soon got back together, and the rest, as they say, is history. Rather well-documented history, at that.
5. Pink & Carey Hart: To quote the singer herself, sometimes, things just work out f--kin' perfect. Like with Pink and Carey Hart, who broke hearts (including their own) back in 2008, when they separated after two years of marriage. But as luck (or fate?) would have it, they never actually divorced...a development which made it oh so much easier on everyone when they reunited the following year. Of course, even when they were apart, they weren't that apart, as Pink helped her then-estranged hubby through the death of his brother, and he even turned up in a music video for his wife during their split. And all's well that ends well, particularly this love story, which ended with the birth of their daughter Willow.
6. Megan Fox & Brian Austin Green: The new parents may be reveling in married and baby bliss right now, but the domestic duo wasn't always perfectly in sync. Back in 2009, the good-looking lovebirds reportedly called off their very long engagement, only to rekindle their relationship and betrothal less than a month later. However, the second time around didn't stick any better than the first, and a month after that, Fox declared herself "single" to reporters. But whatever their differences, they ultimately worked them out, with the duo finally making it down the aisle in June 2010. The couple welcomed baby Noah in September 2012.
7. Nick Lachey & Vanessa Lachey: This couple is in it for the long haul, but it wasn't always smooth sailing. In 2006, after four years of dating, Jessica Simpson's ex called it quits with the then-named Vanessa Minnillo. The exes released a statement declaring the split amicable and emphasizing that they still cared for each other—and it wasn't just PR spin. It wasn't long before the duo found their way back to each other, announcing their engagement the following year. As for their happily ever after: they're currently married and are in love with their baby boy, Camden.
(Originally published June 7, 2012, at 4 a.m. PT)