Giuliana Rancic is going to be a mom—and though she won't be giving birth herself, she is traveling a road well-paved before her by other famous families who looked to surrogacy to solve their multiplication problems.
The E! News and Fashion Police cohost announced today along with hubby Bill Rancic that they are ecstatically expecting their first child via a gestational carrier, and they couldn't feel more blessed.
In honor of their impending arrival, here's a postpartum congratulations to five other celebrity couples who have had children via surrogacy:
1. Sarah Jessica Parker & Matthew Broderick: The New York-based thesps, already parents to 6-year-old James Wilkie, welcomed amply named twin daughters Marion Loretta Elwell and Tabitha Hodge Broderick via surrogate birth on June 22, 2009. While the delivery was a complete success and all is well now, SJP's surrogate did have labor pains in the form of two now ex-police chiefs accused of breaking into her home to snoop for tabloid-worthy information.
2. William Petersen & Gina Cirone: The former CSI star and his wife of eight years, Gina Cirone, welcomed one-of-each twins via surrogate on July 5, 2011. They arrived prematurely, but by that August they were "getting stronger every day." The couple never announced their son's and daughter's names, but we do know Petersen's daughter from his first marriage is Maite, and he has grandsons named Mazrik and Indio.
3. Nicole Kidman & Keith Urban: Having already welcomed daughter Sunday Rose, the duo from Down Under just had to have Faith. When Sunday was 2, Faith Margaret arrived via surrogate on Dec. 28, 2010. "No words can adequately convey the incredible gratitude that we feel for everyone who was so supportive throughout this process, in particular our gestational carrier," the couple said.
4. Elizabeth Banks & Max Handelman: The college sweethearts became first-time parents on March 30, 2011, when son Felix was born via "baby cake." Banks, who coined that rather adorable phrase herself, wrote on her blog, "Felix means 'happy' and 'lucky' in Latin. And true to his name, Felix is a very happy baby and a blessing on our life."
5. Dennis & Kimberly Quaid: Though the couple are now divorcing, they made a great effort to bring twins Thomas and Zoe into this world—and keep them here! As newborns, the Quaids' son and daughter were given accidental overdoses of a blood thinner while being treated for staph infections at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center and emergency procedures were undertaken to save their lives. The now-healthy 4-year-olds are currently splitting their time between mom and dad as divorce proceedings get underway.