Just moments after it was announced that TV legend Dick Clark had died of a heart attack this morning, Twitter ignited with an outpouring of tributes to the American Bandstand and New Year's Rockin' Eve Legend.
"I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark," tweeted Ryan Seacrest, Clark's Rockin' Eve cohost since 2005 and heir apparent. "He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life. My thoughts and prayers are with his family."
He quickly followed with a lengthier statement:
"I am deeply saddened by the loss of my dear friend Dick Clark. He has truly been one of the greatest influences in my life. I idolized him from the start, and I was graced early on in my career with his generous advice and counsel.
"When I joined his show in 2006 , it was a dream come true to work with him every New Year's Eve for the last six years. He was smart, charming, funny and always a true gentleman. I learned a great deal from him, and I'll always be indebted to him for his faith and support of me. He was a remarkable host and businessman and left a rich legacy to television audiences around the world. We will all miss him."
But Seacrest's respects were just the beginning from people who knew the man—and those who just feel as if they've known him all their lives.
"Just heard the news of Dick Clark," wrote Mario Lopez. It was truly an honor to have worked with him, learn from him and to be able to call him a friend. He was a great man and an even better friend. The word legend is thrown around a lot, but it's never more appropriate than when used in describing Mr. Clark.. He was a real inspiration & influence in my life. I will dearly miss my friend... Rest well DC."
"I got to meet him many times," added the Today show's Al Roker. "One that always sticks out: I was meeting w/Dick in his office as the OJ verdict was announced. It was surreal. First [Soul Train creator] Don Cornelius, now Dick Clark. Two true broadcasting pioneers and giants, both gone."
And the tributes keep coming:
• Blake Shelton "So proud I had the chance to shake hands with Dick Clark in my lifetime... Great man.."
• Jenny McCarthy RIP dick Clark. You were amazing to work with. U will be missed. Xxxoo"
• Matchbox Twenty frontman Rob Thomas: "The end of an era. R.I.P. Dick Clark."
• Deborah Gibson: "Just heard about Dick Clark. Oh man.... So sad :-("
• Alex McCord: "For now...Dick Clark....so long. RIP to the man I spent watching on New Year's Eve as a kid and whenever I was at home, American Bandstand...the world's perennial teenager."
• Patton Oswalt: I finally get to apologize to GG Allin for never having him on Bandstand." -- Dick Clark's last words. #rip"
• Sen. Chuck Schumer: RIP Dick Clark, an American icon & great NYer who grew up in Mt. Vernon, went to& got his start . You will be missed
• Melissa Joan Hart "Rest in Peace Dick Clark!! Thanks for entertaining my family for decades! New Years won't be the same ever again!"
• Joan Rivers "Very sad to hear about Dick Clark. What a great life. What a great career. Relevant until the end. He will be missed!"
• Snoop Dogg"REST IN PEACE to the DICK CLARK!! U were pioneer n a good man!! Thank u sir"
• Paramore's Hayley Williams: "RIP Dick Clark. Will think of you every NYE."
• Chris Daughtry: "RIP Mr. Dick Clark. You will be missed"
• Billy Ray Cyrus "R. I. P. Dick Clark. Thoughts and prayers with the Clark Family."
• Sophia Bush "RIP Dick Clark. What a legend ..."
• Kevin McHale "Dick Clark, what a a legend. Changed TV & Music forever. You will be missed Mr. Clark!"
• Neil Patrick Harris: "For ever, Dick Clark... So long."
• William Shatner "My condolences go out to the family of Dick Clark. My best, Bill"
• Tracie Thoms:Dick Clark. New Year's Eve will never be the same. Thanks for the memories."
• Gloria Estefan: "Our sincerest condolences to Dick Clark's wife, Kari, his family & all who loved & admired him which includes the whole Estefan clan!"
• Denis Leary: "Dick Clark dead. Okay so now I'm starting to get a little more concerned about all this 2012 Mayan s--t."
• Harry Shum Jr.: "So sad to hear about Dick Clark's passing. New Years Eve won't be the same without him. An icon that will be missed."
• Melissa Rivers "Sorry to hear about the passing of Dick Clark, he was truly a revolutionary in our business."
• Leah Remini "R.I.P Dick Clark; As a child American Bandstand was a big part of my life as an adult-spent many a New Years Eve w, him like many others :("
• Lance Bass "Farewell to one of my all time idols Dick Clark- genius pioneer in music/television and just a great guy! You will be missed!"
• Singer Michelle Williams: "Sad to hear about the passing of Dick Clark! His contribution to music and the platform he gave people will always be remembered."
• Dane Cook "Rest in peace Mr. Dick Clark. Thank you for new years and new years of class, positivity & entertainment."
• Rosesanne Barr: "dick clark RIP-always a nice man to me-"