Have the New York Jets given up on Mark Sanchez?
Well, a $40.5 million contract extension says no, but the 25-year-old quarterback has company in Hunky Town regardless.
Now-former Denver Broncos star Tim Tebow is moving to the Big Apple (presuming a last-minute salary dispute is rectified), where he'll be competing for playing time and status as a new member of the upper tier of NYC society. (Tim, it's happening whether you and your tough moral fiber like it or not.)
Sanchez eased right into the nightclubbing, GQ-fronting spotlight when he was drafted by the Jets in 2009—but it's Tebow who dominated the headlines in 2011. Now that they're going to play for the same team, who's going to be top dog as far as Hollywood is concerned?
• Sanchez: 25 years old; 6-foot-2; 225 pounds; quarterback; right-handed; University of Southern California (left early, three Rose Bowl wins); drafted fifth overall in 2009 by the New York Jets; best postseason showing: 2009, 2010 AFC championship game.
• Tebow: 24 years old; 6-foot-3; 245 pounds; quarterback; left-handed; University of Florida (graduated, two BCS championships); drafted 25th overall in 2010 by the Denver Broncos; best postseason showing: first round of 2011 NFL playoffs.
Advantage: Even. Tebow enjoyed greater glory as a Gator than Sanchez did as a Trojan, but his NFL draft ranking suffered due to concerns that his game wasn't ready for the pros. Tebow couldn't Tebow the Broncos out of the first round of the playoffs last season, but Sanchez hasn't gotten his team to the Super Bowl yet.
• Sanchez: Two Sports Illustrated covers and the September 2011 cover of GQ.
• Tebow: A whopping eight Sports Illustrated covers (six college, two NFL), albeit one of them a Broncos group shot and another with him lying at Alabama running back Trent Richardson's feet, and one ESPN the Magazine solo cover.
Advantage: Sanchez, though Tebow's has gotten more recognition from the sports bible.
• Sanchez: Pepsi
• Tebow: Jockey, Nike, energy drink maker FRS.
Advantage: Tebow, and there's already talk of how he could absolutely clean up if he joins a team in New York, the No. 1 media market.
HOT RUMORED HOLLYWOOD HOOKUPS
Advantage: Sanchez, though the story about him romancing a 17-year-old (totally legal in New York) who later bragged about their alleged encounter on Facebook is what we thought of first.
POP CULTURE REFERENCES
• Sanchez: Just your average, eight-pack-sporting hot hottie.
• Sanchez: He keeps buckling under the pressure. Very unleading-man of him.
• Tebow: Tebowing. Also, he appeared with his mom in an anti-abortion-themed commercial paid for by conservative group Focus on the Family that aired during the 2010 Super Bowl.
So, as we've figured it, Tebow may be the real star of this dreamy duo if he does indeed end up joining the New York Jets. If somehow he ends up on the Patriots...
We'll get back to you.