Britney Spears, please let this happen to you.
Marriage isn't always easy in the best of circumstances, let alone under the Hollywood microscope, through which five-year unions are "long by industry standards" and "irreconcilable differences" is a punchline. And there are gobs of celebs out there playing the relationship game of "tag, you're engaged!"
But, then again, you can't keep a true romance down—and you can't really fault a celeb for try-trying again when opportunity presents itself. Heck, even Paul Newman's 50-year love affair with Joanne Woodward was a second marriage!
So, in honor of Spears' engagement to Jason Trawick, who will be the star's third husband (if you count her annulled two-day marriage to one Jason Allen Alexander), here are five couples who bet that the third time would be the charm.
And so far, they're winning!
1. Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes: The parents of the most stylish bundle of joy we've ever seen just celebrated their fifth anniversary and, while they've got another five to go until they've been married as long as Cruise was to Nicole Kidman (Mimi Rogers was wife No. 1), the pair seem relentlessly happy. If you're still hating on this couple...face it, you're a wee bit jealous.
ROBYN BECK/AFP/Getty Images
2. Harrison Ford and Calista Flockhart: Married for 18 months and together for eight years before that, who's to argue that Indiana Jones and Ally McBeal aren't soul mates? Sure, Ford was with first wife Mary Marquardt for 15 years and had two children, and then with second wife Melissa Mathison, the mother of his other two children, for 21 years. But now that he's broken out of his "M" routine and coupled up with Calista, the 69-year-old star almost appears to have traded that smirk in for a smile.
John Shearer/Getty Images
3. Ted Danson and Mary Steenburgen: Not long after he dated Whoopi Goldberg (remember that?!), twice-divorced Danson fell in—and never fell out of—love with this Oscar-winning actress. Sixteen years of marriage and a few memorable episodes of Curb Your Enthusiasm later, they're still going strong.
4. Nicolas Cage and Alice Kim Cage: Not exactly the picture of stability, Nic managed to sneak seven years of marriage to his third wife under the radar without anybody really noticing—especially since his previous unions were high-profile escapades with Patricia Arquette and Lisa Marie Presley. Well, let's just hope that the couple who names their son after Superman together stays together.
5. Kurt Russell and Goldie Hawn: Though they've never officially said I-do, Hawn was married twice before hooking up with the father of her youngest son and they've been together for 28 years.
Now, that's really long by industry standards.