AP Photo/Denis Poroy
AP Photo/Denis Poroy
That Robert Pattinson is such a card!
We got pretty darn close to the Twilight star today at Comic-Con—yes, he really does glisten—as well as to some of his nearest and dearest castmates. When they weren't discussing the intensity of Bella giving birth or Taylor Lautner's CGI-wolf envy, they were busy tickling our funny bones.
Here are the five best things that we heard today during that magical hour spent with the vampires and werewolves of Breaking Dawn:
1. Potter Shots: Asked whether he had more fun playing Cedric Diggory (a more upbeat character than Edward, sure, but he dies, human-style), Rob was literally at a loss for words...until they just started flowing out!
"Well, no," he began. "They were both really, really fun. I definitely didn't know what I was doing when I was playing Cedric because it was so early on. I didn't even know if I wanted to be an actor at the time! It was fun, in that respect, because I was genuinely just playing around. Twilight has really changed my life and it's allowed me to live in this world, which...it's very difficult in. It's almost impossible to find another way of living in it. I don't know what I'm talking about, obviously!"
2. Don't Hate Them Because They're Beautiful: When a young male fan asked Rob and Taylor what it was like working with hotties such as Kristen and fellow panelists Nikki Reed and Ashley Greene, Rob gave another one of his charmingly befuddled answers. "I always get asked that at some point, and what do you say? Every way you can approach this answer seems either kind of inappropriate or just plain wrong. Taylor, you answer it."
Apparently egged on by the crowd's reaction, however, Rob added, "It's great, it's really nice being surrounded by hot girls all the time. It's the best thing ever. It's why I became an actor!" Added Taylor, "There could be worse jobs. We have a lot of fun...It's weird, we're all so superclose."
"It's weird how hot we are!" Kristen quipped, before telling the moderator, "We have to be done with this now."
3. The Eyes Have It: "The contacts suck," revealed Kristen when a fan asked if Rob has been exaggerating all these years about the discomfort inflicted by the contact lenses that add to his vampire appeal. "He is so, so justified," his, er, costar said. (When the lights went down for a preview clip, they totally put their heads together for a sec!)
"You do feel so locked in there all day, though it helps, too," Kristen described the vampire lenses (and remember, all of this is being said in her cute, halting monotone). "You're so much more conscious of your movements...You can't see anything, thus people cannot see you, I feel. There's just no getting in there, especially when we both have them in, it's like…," she demonstrated, waving frantically at Rob.
4. Peace Out, Forks: "I, um, I guess I'll miss...We had some really special moments, actually, that's like the most genuine answer," Nikki stumbled when a fan asked her, directly, what she'll miss most about the Twilight set and how the cast would keep in touch. "All of us, individually, we've had some really good moments together."
Ignoring the obvious problem with that statement...
"I've done some other movies," she continued, "and it can be a very lonely experience, but one thing I've noticed with this series, is that no matter who's dealing with what issue, there's always someone to be with.
"And in terms of keeping in touch, you know, I don't know what the future holds for all of us. I would love to say it's going to be like a fairy-tale ending and we'll have dinners once a week. Probably not. But there's definitely a love there, and things that have happened that will live on forever. And some of us will say in touch and some probably won't, but it's been a really great thing for all of us to create these kinds of friendships."
We would have likeed to hear her expound on the whole "some probably won't" part, but...alas, it wasn't that kind of panel.
5. "Wait, Where Am I Again?" Toward the end of the panel, a fan asked the stars what their favorite movie in the saga has been so far. Kristen said that New Moon has "always been her favorite book," and that she liked the film Twilight, but that there's also something really special about Breaking Dawn. Taylor said that he loved the book Eclipse, but that this movie is his favorite so far. When it came time for Rob to answer, he replied, "Like, any saga? Or this saga?"
A great big cheers to that!