Donald Trump just can't stop firing people—including himself.
The Celebrity Apprentice boss man and self-fancied politico has bowed out of his duties as the pace car driver for this month's Indianapolis 500.
Though the withdrawal comes in the wake of both a mounting, viral Facebook campaign against his appearance and a political backlash spawned in the wake of his brutal mockery at the White House Correspondents Dinner last week, Trump failed to mention either of those as reasons for his pull-out.
So what was to blame?
Why, his possible and long-threatened run at the presidency, that's what. Apparently, prepping for the race would infringe on Trump's process of pondering his candidacy—of which, incidentally, he says he will soon be announcing his final decision.
In the meantime, you can stop your calls for him to release proof that he does in fact possess a legal United States driver's license. Clever as that was.
"I very much appreciate the honor, but time and business constraints make my appearance there, especially with the necessary practice sessions, impossible to fulfill," he told Indianapolis Motor Speedway officials.
"I look forward to watching the race from New York."
No doubt plenty of newly-placated Indy fans feel the same way—but not necessarily the head honchos over at IMS.
"Donald Trump has been very enthusiastic about the 500 from the beginning of our conversations, and I have appreciated the interaction we have had with him and his staff," president and CEO Jeff Belskus said. "From my first conversation, I was impressed by his deep understanding of the event and history and I thank him for being a true fan."
No replacement has yet been announced for Trump, but they'd better hurry—the 2011 Indy 500 is set to run May 29. And whoever they choose better be good: this month's event is especially important for Indy fans as it marks the race's centennial year.