The eye-popping stats:
• The $125 million sequel grossed $165 million worldwide, per estimates, including $83.6 million here.
• It was the biggest-opening movie of the year domestically.
• It was the biggest-opening movie in the Jurassic Park-, E.T.-graced history of Universal Pictures.
• It was biggest-opening April opener ever.
And, of course:
• It was the biggest-opening Fast and Furious movie ever.
Perhaps not so obviously, the car flick, memorably mocked by The Onion, was the franchise's best-reviewed movie, too. (On Rotten Tomatoes, the film scored a positive rating not far off from Jane Eyre's.)
So, yes, if anyone asks, Vin Diesel saves.
Rio, which was out at No. 1 after a two-weekend stay, crossed $100 million overall domestically, while Scream 4 disappeared from the Top 10 after grossing just $35.5 million overall.
Here's a complete rundown of the top-grossing films, per Friday-Sunday numbers as compiled by Exhibitor Relations.