In this rundown originally published last April when new parents Kimberly Stewart and Benicio del Toro shocked with their own baby announcement, we recall five Hollywood couplings that also caught us off guard:
1. Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes: No matter how long they're together—and they've been at it six years now, folks—they make you go, "Really?! The World's Biggest Movie Star and Joey from Dawson's Creek—really?!" Really.
2. Jesse James and Sandra Bullock: The garage guy and the good girl. They said it'd never last. And, um, well, they were right.
3. Jake Gyllenhaal and Taylor Swift: Sure, they're both young, cute and single—or, in the 30-year-old Gyllenhaal's case, young-ish, cute and single. But be honest: Until they were snapped together last fall, did you have any idea they would pool their collective talents (however briefly)?
4. Kenny Chesney and Renée Zellweger: There's nothing necessarily shocking about a country crooner and a movie queen. (See: Keith Urban and Nicole Kidman.) But there is something totally shocking about a country crooner and a movie queen marrying within five months of meeting (and then splitting four months later).
5. Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley: Name any jaw-dropping couple from any time—Antony and Cleopatra, Arthur Miller and Marilyn Monroe, etc.—and we doubt you'll come up with one that seems more out of the blue, in a perfect sort of way, than the King of Pop wedding the King of Rock's daughter. (Well, all right, maybe Elvis fan Nicolas Cage wedding Presley…)
(Originally published April 12, 2011, at 5:00 a.m. PT)