Close
BRAND NEW ON E!
  • News/ 

    Lara Logan Released From Hospital in "Remarkably Good Spirits"

    Lara Logan

    Lara Logan has reunited with her family.

    The CBS News correspondent was discharged from an undisclosed hospital Tuesday at about 5 p.m. and is now recuperating at her Washington, D.C.-area home after suffering "a brutal and sustained sexual assault" at the hands of a mob last Friday while covering the revolution in Egypt.

    We wish her a speedy recovery.

    MORE: Horror! 60 Minutes Correspondent Lara Logan attacked

    ABC News was the first to report her release, while the Daily Beast quoted sources as saying the 39-year-old reporter is in "remarkably good spirits" despite her nightmare and is now resting at her residence, with husband Joseph Burkett and their two children.

    Logan was working on a story for 60 Minutes on the celebrations in Cairo's Tahrir Square following the resignation of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak when, per a statement from CBS News, she was set upon by a "mob of more than 200 people whipped into frenzy."

    After becoming separated from her crew and security team, the network said Logan was surrounded, assaulted and beaten before a group of women. She was ultimately rescued by Egyptian soldiers, who escorted her and her crew back to their hotel. Logan was put on the first flight out the next morning for the States where she checked into the hospital.

    If there's any silver lining to be had, a person familiar with the matter told the Wall Street Journal that the ordeal, which lasted roughly 20- to 30-minute, "was not a rape."

    A CBS News spokesman declined to comment.

    After news of the incident broke, journalism organizations such as the National Press Club and many of her colleagues issued statements of support to the South African native, who gained fame for her hard-nosed coverage of the War in Iraq and other Middle East hotspots.

    CNN anchor Anderson Cooper, who was punched by pro-Mubarak supporters a few days before and left Egypt out of concern for his own safety, offered his thoughts and prayers on Twitter, saying he was "sickened and saddened by the attack on Lara Logan."

    While film critic Roger Ebert tweeted: "The attack on Lara Logan brings Middle East attitudes toward women into sad focus."

    Logan had been in Egypt the week before covering the massive protests there when she and her crew were taken into police custody, accused of being spies, and held in stress positions for several days as part of a government-sponsored campaign of intimidation against foreign journalists covering the tumultuous events.

    She and her team were released and left Egypt. They had just returned so Logan could interview key members of the protest movement when the street attack occurred.

    (Originally published Feb. 16, 2010, at 9:37 a.m. PT)

    FROM AROUND THE WEB
    MORE ON EONLINE

    MORE: Anderson Cooper in undisclosed location after attack in Egypt