Don't call it a comeback…'cause it isn't one just yet.
Just a month after Rihanna was booked for her first public performance since her alleged assault by Chris Brown, the show has been abruptly scrapped.
The 21-year-old R&B star had been scheduled to perform later this month in the United Arab Emirates. But Yassin Matbouly, of would-have-been concert organizer Vibe Entertainment Management Agency, said in a statement that she's not yet ready to return to the stage.
"We want to share with you that Rihanna and her management will not be accepting to hold a public concert at this time as it is not appropriate timing for her," he said.
There was no immediate comment from Rihanna, who is expected to be among the glitterati in attendance at tonight's Costume Institue Gala in New York.
Coincidentally, the next court hearing for Brown's double felony case is May 28, the same day the concert was scheduled to take place.
Matbouly, who said the concert would likely have taken place in Dubai or possibly Abu Dhabi, speculated that the scope of the concert may have been intimidating. Organizers were looking for a 25,000-seat venue and, he said, the media attention would have been massive (though it likely will be whenever and wherever she does stage her return).
"Rihanna's management contacted us on Saturday and explained she was unable to come to the UAE in May, but said she is keen to still perform in the region.
"Vibe has been ready and was looking forward to putting this concert together for the crowd of the Middle East…This is very sad for us at this time knowing the concert will not happen, but we will not give up and we will continue to put our offer to Rihanna's management for a future date."
The concert producers are now eyeing dates for sometime this fall.
Follow us on Twitter @eonline