Jason DeCrow/AP Images for Nickelodeon
It wouldn't be an awards show if a winner didn't cry.
While the 22nd Annual Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards had few of the same ingredients of an Oscars or Grammys telecast, Miley Cyrus made sure the tradition stayed alive.
After shouldering losses for everything else with her name attached—Selena Gomez took the slimefest's Favorite TV Actress gong and iCarly swiped Favorite TV Show out from underneath Hannah Montana—the starlet scored a win for Favorite Female Singer. Despite having taken home the orange Blimp in the same category last year, she got surprisingly choked up.
"I really thought I was going to lose, so thank you, guys," she wept.
Those High School Musical kids—Zac Efron, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Tisdale and Corbin Bleu, to be precise—were considerably more cheerful. The graduating class of East High took home one of the event's highest honors, Favorite Movie, beating out the likes of Iron Man and The Dark Knight. High School Musical 3: Senior Year's prom queen, Hudgens, also took home Favorite Female Movie Star.
Sadly, the Wildcats, as well as the "Climb" singer, managed to walk away from the Pauley Pavilion on UCLA's campus completely slime-free. Many others were not so lucky...
Host Dwayne Johnson presided over an active slime volcano and, throughout the show, sought the necessary "key" star to make it erupt. While the Jonas Brothers—who took home the Favorite Music Group Blimp, natch—forced the wet, green finale fiesta and Will Ferrell rode a slimy slip 'n' slide, the best, or at least gooiest, bits were more prank driven.
Favorite Male Singer Jesse McCartney received a good soaking from The Rock courtesy of a trick microphone. Mr. Oscars host himself, Hugh Jackman, and Sandra Bullock opened a winners' case only to receive the night's best dousing.
After a record more than 90 million votes, a winner was decided in the fierce book battle between Harry Potter and Edward Cullen. The Twilight series took home the Favorite Book award, and Taylor Lautner—not Robert Pattinson, sorry, ladies—picked it up in Stephenie Meyer's absence.
Cameron Diaz was also on hand to award Leonardo DiCaprio the first-ever Big Green Help award for his environmental contributions. While the Blimp was green, neither scored a splash of goo.
Neither Rihanna nor Chris Brown, who withdrew his two nominations prior to the event, were in attendance.
Before the night came to a close, the JoBros and the Pussycat Dolls performed a pair of their hits and Johnson donned a dress and wig to look like Cyrus. The only thing missing was the tears.
Here's a complete list of the winners of the Kids' Choice Awards:
- Favorite Movie: High School Musical 3: Senior Year
- Favorite Animated Movie: Madagascar: Return 2 Africa
- Favorite Voice From an Animated Movie: Jack Black, Kung Fu Panda
- Favorite Male Movie Star: Will Smith, Hancock
- Favorite Female Movie Star: Vanessa Hudgens, High School Musical 3: Senior Year
- Favorite TV Show: iCarly
- Favorite Reality Show: American Idol
- Favorite Cartoon: SpongeBob SquarePants
- Favorite TV Actress: Selena Gomez, Wizards of Waverly Place
- Favorite TV Actor: Dylan Sprouse, The Suite Life of Zack and Cody
- Favorite Song: Beyoncé, "Single Ladies (Put a Ring On It)"
- Favorite Music Group: Jonas Brothers
- Favorite Male Singer: Jesse McCartney
- Favorite Female Singer: Miley Cyrus
- Favorite Male Athlete: Peyton Manning
- Favorite Female Athlete: Candace Parker
- Big Green Help Award: Leonardo DiCaprio
- Favorite Video Game: Guitar Hero World Tour
- Favorite Book: Twilight series
(Originally published on March 28, 2009, at 9:08 p.m. PT)