On Friday evening, the Hollywood couple shocked fans when they announced on social media that they were splitting after more than six years of dating.
"After almost 6 loving and wonderful years together, we have decided to end our relationship," the statement began. "This was an incredibly difficult decision for both of us, but we have realized more than anything that we are better as best friends."
The pair continued, "We will always be supportive of one another. Thank you to everyone who has offered us kindness and support over the years."
While some Lovatics try to get over the upsetting news, we're looking back at 10 sweet moments in the couple's relationship that left so many people thinking they were the perfect pair. After this, however, we'll all deserve to give our hearts a break.
1. Ring Watch: There was no question that fans were eagerly waiting to see an engagement ring on Demi's finger. In fact, the "Cool for the Summer" singer recently admitted that she wouldn't mind having one either. "We've been together this long…obviously I'm not going anywhere," she joked to Ellen DeGeneres. "I don't see a ring. I wouldn't mind if I saw one, but there's time for everything."
2. Soulmates: During an average round of text messaging, Demi and Wilmer quickly showed their chemistry. In a recent exchange shared on social media, the former That ‘70's Show star called his girlfriend "my f—king soulmate" after they thought and said the same thing. Demi replied, "RELATIONSHIP GOALLSSSSSSS AS F------------K!!!!"
3. Life Saver: When celebrating three years of sobriety back in March of 2015, Demi was quick to give credit where credit is due to Wilmer for helping her stay healthy and happy. "After sharing my ups, putting up with my downs and supporting my recovery... he still never takes credit and I want the world to know how incredible his soul is," she wrote in a heartfelt Instagram post. "I really wouldn't be alive today without him. I love you Wilmer."
4. Vacation Babes: In between work commitments and busy schedules, the pair was able to enjoy plenty of romantic vacations together. Perhaps one of our favorites is when the couple enjoyed a getaway to St. Barts where they couldn't help but show some PDA in the sun. And remember when they recreated the Dirty Dancing moment in the ocean? We know, pretty cure.
5. Passion: Just one month ago, Demi appeared on the cover of Latina magazine where she admitted that Wilmer wasn't like her past boyfriends. "When I dated white guys, it wasn't as passionate as my relationship with Wilmer," she told the publication. "Maybe that's just Wilmer. But I do believe that Latin people are just more expressive, more passionate with their emotions." She added, "He's very manly, and he can be stubborn like Latino men can, but he's protective and he cares so much and loves so hard. I've been blessed enough to have him in my life, and not just as my man, but also my best friend."
6. Biggest Fan: Whether visiting his leading lady on set or sitting front row for her New Year's Eve concert, Wilmer loved supporting Demi at her events. "Watching one of the best vocalist in music. And my little angel," the 35-year-old actor wrote last holiday. "#NYE2016 #HappyNewYear #RockinEve2016."
7. Laugh It Off: In another heartfelt Instagram post, Demi was quick to praise Wilmer's sense of humor when wishing him a happy birthday. "To the funniest, most inspiring, incredible man I know. @WValderrama," she shared. "Thank you for helping me get through my darkest moments. You truly are a light to this world and to my life."
8. Friendly Exes: Not many ladies can say their current boyfriends get along with their exes. But as it turns out, Wilmer had no problems with former Jonas Brothers member Joe Jonas. "Nick and Wilmer get along great—Joe and Wilmer, too. It's weird. In the beginning, I was like, 'Why the f--k are you friends with Joe?' He was like, 'He's a cool guy,'" Demi recalled in Cosmopolitan. "Yeah, I know. I dated him."
I wish I could put into words how grateful I am for this man right here. But my love has grown to a level that words could never possibly express how much this man completes me. He's loved me the way I never thought I deserved to be loved and with this day marking my 3rd year sober... After sharing my ups, putting up with my downs and supporting my recovery... he still never takes credit and I want the world to know how incredible his soul is. I really wouldn't be alive today without him. I love you Wilmer ??
9. Wedding Bells: While there was no rush to get married, Demi couldn't help but speculate as to what her special ceremony would be like during an interview with Complex. "I love shabby chic [weddings]... I don't know if it would be in a barn, but I think I'd definitely want an outdoor wedding, with lights hanging in the trees," she revealed to the publication of her future nuptials. "With Wilmer, I'm the happiest that I've ever been, so that's all that matters to me."
10. #Love: Perhaps what fans will miss the most are the countless posts on social media from Wilmer and Demi where they professed their love for one another. Whether sharing sweet kisses on date nights, snapping selfies in bed or simply enjoying quality time together, fans loved following their relationship. "I wish I could put into words how grateful I am for this man right here," Demi once wrote online. "But my love has grown to a level that words could never possibly express how much this man completes me." Lucky for us, we still have plenty of memories.