Award-winning poet, civil rights activist and author Maya Angelou died at her home in Winston-Salem, N.C. As the world mourns her death, the 86-year-old's legacy lives on through her inspirational quotes.
Here, E! News highlights her attitudes towards love, forgiveness, humility, compassion and more.
1. "When you know better, you do better."
2. "When people show you who they are, believe them."
3. "I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel."
4. "It's one of the greatest gifts you can give yourself, to forgive. Forgive everybody."
5. "I am grateful to have been loved and to be loved now and to be able to love, because that liberates. Love liberates. It doesn't just hold—that's ego. Love liberates. It doesn't bind. Love says, 'I love you. I love you if you're in China. I love you if you're across town. I love you if you're in Harlem. I love you. I would like to be near you. I'd like to have your arms around me. I'd like to hear your voice in my ear. But that's not possible now, so I love you. Go.'"