Stephen Lovekin/Getty Images
Demi Moore decided today was the perfect day to start a Twitter fight with Perez Hilton for 3-week-old tweets like:
"Tallulah Willis, 15, dressing like a slut! Look at her boobs! Demi, Ashton and Bruce are GREAT parents!"
Now, Perez can say some awful stuff about famous people's children. However bad this makes us look as a society, that's his job.
If anyone gives him even the smallest bit of attention, he runs with it. So it's usually best not to engage him. Ever.
Demi must not have known this when she randomly started twittering today:
• "Clearly Perez Hilton isn't taking violating child pornography laws very seriously. He might not but there are alot of people who do!"
• "Anyone who advertises follows or supports Perez supports violating child pornography laws!"
And just like that, Perez is engaged and begins rapidly twittering back.
• "Expect another letter from my attorney, kitten. Xoxo"
• "P.S. Bring it on, bitch!"
• "And THIS is what senile Demi is referring to http://bit.ly/TzOex A photo I linked to on my Twitter a couple of weeks ago."
• "That fine, upstanding, wholesome young lady is her 15 year old. daughter Tallulah, http://bit.ly/TzOex
• "And thanks for drawing MORE attention to your daughter's behavior and your parenting skills (or lack thereof). U r real smart!"
• "Should I sue Demi Moore?"
• "Still waiting for you to retract your incorrect, libelous and defamatory statements"
• "Look at her Tweets. SHE is the one breaking the law with her libelous, defamatory, inaccurate and stupid allegations."
Demi at least doesn't engage him too much more, but she does keep the topic of conversation going with her followers and eventually reaches these closing remarks: "This is not a game . Children should not be exploited. They must be protected."
And for now, Perez ends with: "Ur daughter has been an actress in Bruce's films. You 2 have been exploiting Tallulah for quite some time."
So who loses? Obviously, Tallulah. Three weeks in Internet time is like two years; this wasn't even on anyone's mind right now. All Demi did was draw more attention to photos of her scantily clad 15-year-old daughter (and there are a lot of them where she makes Miley look like a saint).
Plus, it seems like there ought to be a way to try to do something about Perez's remarks in private or at least some other forum where adults usually solve their problems.
You know, somewhere they can use more than 140 characters to get their point across and don't have millions of anonymous followers weighing in with their opinion.
For people who use Twitter for good, check out our Tweet Peeks gallery.