The Nice Guys official red band trailer was released today, and it's filled with plenty of cringeworthy punches and offbeat humor—oh, yes, and Ryan Gosling and Russell Crowe!
You should be warned the entire clip is extremely NSFW. Basically, Holland March (Gosling) and Jackson Healy (Crowe) are tracking down the same missing girl, but when things go terribly awry, the mismatched, fumbling pair are forced to work together.
The Nice Guys, set in L.A in the '70s, is violent and funny—and sometimes so violent, it's funny, but without crossing into that Seth MacFarlaneMillion Ways to Die in the West territory. Its specialty is in its WTF moments, 6 of which we'll take a look at right now.
1. That Squeal: Healy (Crowe) busts into the home of a terrified March (Gosling). Immediately, a smackdown plays out and punches are thrown—only in one direction, though. Healy quickly knocks March to the ground and delivers him a swift kick in the nuts. From there, March lets out an extended, severely pained shriek. (If Gosling's vocals produced that one, the man deserves an award.)
The Nice Guys
2. The Potty Talk: Healy tracks down March while he's on the pot. The bumbling private detective thinks he's prepared, waving that gun around, put it's quickly quite clear that managing a pistol, paper and a stall door at once requires way too much coordination.
3. The Dutiful Dad: Gosling's character brings his precocious daughter to a club while he's on the job. "Dad, there's like whores here and stuff," she exclaims as images of topless mermaids and lucite heels flash on the screen. March is quick to reprimand his little girl on her choice of wording though. "Sweetheart," he says, "How many times have I told you? Don't say, 'and stuff.' Just say, 'Dad, there are whores here.'"
The Nice Guys
4. The Panic: Healy, for the most part, keeps his cool better than March. Gosling's character vomits at the sight of death while Crowe's shrugs off each kill. In one particularly harrowing car scene, however, both men completely lose it—and yes, we hear that scream again.
5. This Splat: At one point, March and a presumed rival are plummeting towards the concrete below from a high building. The one man (not March) is flailing right alongside him until splat, his body literally smacks a ledge and turns into a dramatically gory graphic. Not a second later, March lands in a pool A-OK. Shocked, Gosling's character emerges from the water and yells, "I'm alive!" But in true The Nice Guys fashion, this relief doesn't last long.
The Nice Guys
6. The Chill: Bodies are dropping everywhere you look, but March wants to see the positive. "Look at the bright side," he tells Healy. "Nobody got hurt." We see a montage of horrific deaths, and Healy says, "...people got hurt." NBD, though, right? "I'm saying," Gosling's character continues, "I think they died quickly, though, so I don't think they got hurt."