We could really use some country music love songs right about…now!
After four years of marriage, Blake Shelton and Miranda Lambert surprised fans on Monday when E! News confirmed the couple was divorcing.
"Their busy schedules were a big issue for them," a source told E! News. "They both worked a lot and had to spend a lot of time apart. The less time they spent together, the more they grew apart."
While this breakup may take weeks for us to get over, we've realized that country music stars aren't immune to struggles in the romance department. We've compiled six more breakups that had our hearts breaking.
So turn up the tunes, pour some whiskey and pay your respects to a few familiar couples who couldn't make it work.
Jason Merritt/Getty Images
1. Jason Aldean and Jessica Ussery: Who can forget this scandalous split? After 12 years of marriage, the pair called it quits citing irreconcilable differences. Their status as a couple, however, was put under a microscope months before when Aldean was caught kissing former American Idol contestant Brittany Kerr. While he issued a public apology and admitted that he "acted inappropriately," Aldean would end up marrying Kerr in 2015.
Ethan Miller/Getty Images
2. Trace Adkins and Rhonda Adkins: Seventeen years as husband and wife and these two couldn't make it work? We just can't deal! Just last month, the Hollywood pair finalized their divorce and agreed on a custody arrangement for their three daughters. "Rhonda and Trace made this decision together in the best interest of their family," the singer's lawyer told E! News. Rhonda, who originally filed for divorce, cited irreconcilable differences.
Rick Diamond/Getty Images
3. LeAnn Rimes and Dean Sheremet: Long before Eddie Cibrian (and Brandi Glanville) entered Rimes' life, the "Can't Fight the Moonlight" singer was happily married to Sheremet. That all changed, however, when the famous Lifetime movie Northern Lights started filming.
"Unfortunately, I think the business ended up destroying us. That passion for our marriage wasn't there," Sheremet told Nat's Next Adventure. "The person that I needed to be, the person I should have been, I wasn't."
As for the affair between Rimes and Cibrian, Sheremet didn't exactly predict it. "Never in a million years did I think something like that would have happened," he shared.
Gareth Davies/Getty Images
4. Shania Twain and Mutt Lange: Fans may recall when the "Man! I Feel Like a Woman" singer split from Lange back in 2008 partly because of his affair with her best friend Marie-Anne Thiebaud! Major girl code violation, people!
Fast-forward to today and Twain is happily married to her former best friend's ex-husband. As for her relationship with Thiebaud today, there isn't much of anything. "I don't see her, ever," Twain told the New York Post. "I don't invite that trigger into my life…She's not my future—she's not my past."
AP Photo/Carolina Herrara
5. Kenny Chesney and Renee Zellweger: The use of the word "fraud" will never be the same after this relationship. The Oscar-winning actress filed for an annulment from Chesney after four months of marriage. While Zellweger assured fans it was "simply legal language and not a reflection of Kenny's character," the country singer felt the need to defend himself.
In an interview with 60 Minutes, Chesney assured fans that reports claiming he was gay were "not true. Period." Instead, marriage was simply too much too soon. "The only fraud that was committed was me thinking that I knew what it was like...that I really understood what it was like to be married," he explained. "And I really didn't."
6. Wynonna Judd and Dan Roach: All the way back in 2007, Judd filed for divorce from her estranged husband after he was indicted in Tennessee on serious charges. "I am obviously devastated," Naomi Judd's mother shared on her website. "Our family will pull together, begin the healing process and hopefully—by the grace of God—become stronger." Judd would later marry Cactus Moser in 2012.